Workbench 2007: How to get mutiple translations for identical source segments
Thread poster: AlexABC

AlexABC
Local time: 03:38
French to English
May 16, 2012

Good day,

This is a basic question, but I am wondering how to get multiple stored translations for identical source segments.

When I create a new memory in Workbench 2007, I check the "Allow mutiple translations for identical source segments" option. However, once I get working it seems I only have one option (the most recent) for a source segment I've translated differently on separate occasions.

What I want to do is choose between different ways I've already translated a given segment or sentence in the past.

Any help you have will be most appreciated.

Regards.

[Edited at 2012-05-16 21:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-17 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-17 17:25 GMT]

Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:38
German to English
+ ...
Create new memory from Workbench May 18, 2012

There's a checkbox for this option in the first screen that appears.

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:38
English to German
Not exactly the same? May 18, 2012

Hi, are you sure that the source segments were really 100% identical? If there are different formatting tags or an additional space, they would not be identical. Then, when you encounter this segment again, one of the TM matches might be 100%, while all the others might be 99%. Unfortunately, Workbench does not display 99% matches when it finds a 100% match. This has bugged me quite a few times. The only workaround I use is to start a manual Concordance search with the whole segment to get the 99% matches. But this only works when I am aware that there are more "100%" matches.

AlexABC
Local time: 03:38
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No success May 18, 2012

Thank you Richard and Matthias.

Yes, in fact I did check the "Allow mutiple translations for identical source segments" option.

However, only the most recent 100% hit is displayedicon_frown.gif

Yes, positive that the segments were 100% identical. Only most recent shows up. Is there something I need to select or a menu I need to go into?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench 2007: How to get mutiple translations for identical source segments

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search