Workbench 2007: How to get mutiple translations for identical source segments
Thread poster: AlexABC

AlexABC
Local time: 01:06
French to English
May 16, 2012

Good day,

This is a basic question, but I am wondering how to get multiple stored translations for identical source segments.

When I create a new memory in Workbench 2007, I check the "Allow mutiple translations for identical source segments" option. However, once I get working it seems I only have one option (the most recent) for a source segment I've translated differently on separate occasions.

What I want to do is choose between different ways I've already translated a given segment or sentence in the past.

Any help you have will be most appreciated.

Regards.

[Edited at 2012-05-16 21:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-17 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-17 17:25 GMT]

Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
German to English
+ ...
Create new memory from Workbench May 18, 2012

There's a checkbox for this option in the first screen that appears.

Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:06
English to German
Not exactly the same? May 18, 2012

Hi, are you sure that the source segments were really 100% identical? If there are different formatting tags or an additional space, they would not be identical. Then, when you encounter this segment again, one of the TM matches might be 100%, while all the others might be 99%. Unfortunately, Workbench does not display 99% matches when it finds a 100% match. This has bugged me quite a few times. The only workaround I use is to start a manual Concordance search with the whole segment to get the 99% matches. But this only works when I am aware that there are more "100%" matches.

AlexABC
Local time: 01:06
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
No success May 18, 2012

Thank you Richard and Matthias.

Yes, in fact I did check the "Allow mutiple translations for identical source segments" option.

However, only the most recent 100% hit is displayedicon_frown.gif

Yes, positive that the segments were 100% identical. Only most recent shows up. Is there something I need to select or a menu I need to go into?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench 2007: How to get mutiple translations for identical source segments

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search