Studio 2011 How do I assign custom fields for all new TU's?
Thread poster: Heather McCrae

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:51
Member (2012)
German to English
May 17, 2012

I dont have the time to enter custom values for each single translation unit, which appears to be the case in studio 2011. And the values I assign when setting up a project are not shown anywhere, so what is the point??

I am looking at having to edit each TU in a job with +10K TU, hello, can someone add a few extra hours to my day?

So how do I assign custom values such as customer and job so that each new TU is then saved with those values until I finish the job/project???

regards, Heather

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Filter by date/time and batch edit May 17, 2012

Hi Heather,

You can do this in the translation memory view at the end of each session.

Filter the TM by "Greater than or equal to" the date/time you started your session to select only the segments you have just translated and then batch edit the field values.

Make sure you have applied the correct filter before you confirm any changes to the TM (and keep up-to-date copies of your TMs in case you do)!

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Use project settings May 17, 2012

An easy way to do this is to set the appropriate fields in the project settings before you start. Use Project -> Project settings - >Translation Memory and Automated Translation ->Update. This will apply your info to each segment you translate after this point in time.

This is useful if you have a job with various files. You can identify each file in the info before you start translating it (if you remember to!) so that when you do a concordance search for a term it shows you the file where you used it.

It couldn't be easier!

Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the custom fields May 17, 2012

thanks a lot for the 2 proposals, i just tried the update one. yippeeeeee, but why oh why can't this be explained in an easy way in Trados?
and one other thing, I upgraded my 2007 TM to use in studio 2011, but all the custom settings are no longer there so I have no idea what TU's belong to what clients/jobs, etc. I find that very poor as a great part of my resources are lost that way. It is important to me, in concordance for example, that I know which terminology belongs to which job. Anyway around this problem?

regards Heather

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
One way forward May 17, 2012

Hi, Heather

This happened to me too on upgrading from 2007. What I did was to use my upgraded TM just as a look-up, i.e. as a second TM DISABLED for update and started a new TM with appropriate fields. The new TM is the first one in the list and ENABLED for update. Obviously, the old field info is lost, but at least you can use the TM as reference without impairing your work going forward.

Roy

PS: It is a good idea to use one TM per client, rather than identify the clients in a big TM using the fields. You can always add extra TMs for reference as look-up TMs.

[Edited at 2012-05-17 12:33 GMT]

Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
filter, but how? and TM management May 17, 2012

first of all, how do I filter the TM and where do I start? I did see something along those lines while frantically hunting for other information, but can't remember where!

*Roy! thanks, yes I think I must create new TMs, but in 2007 it was just so much easier that way as there only 1 TM was permitted. 2011 is a lot better in that regards. But don't project TMs get created each time? and can I add new files for the same customer to an old project and use it that way? or do I need to start from scratch each time?

questions ohne ende

still, the finished file looked gooooood, and 2011 certainly does speed the translation up once you know what you are doing!

regards, Heather

Italy
Italian to English
Filters 101 May 17, 2012

Open a TM in the TM editor and click on Add Filter (the first of the four little funnels in the TM filter bar).

In the Condition window, click on Add (which is no longer greyed out once you have clicked on Add Filter) and set your first condition. You can add conditions, or exclude them (by ticking the NOT box), as needed.

When you are satisfied with your filter, click on Save Filter (the second little funnel), which will also remove the asterisk from the new filter's name. If it doesn't work quite as you expected, you can edit the conditions, resave the filter and try again.

If you remove the TM from the editor list, you will be asked to discard or save for use in future sessions the filters you have created.

HTH

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Adding files and Project TMs May 17, 2012

heathermccrae wrote:

But don't project TMs get created each time? and can I add new files for the same customer to an old project and use it that way? or do I need to start from scratch each time?

Hi Heather,

The creation of a Project TM is optional, so you don't have to work with them. The default in Project Creation is actually not to use a Project TM.

You can use one Project for one client if you like and keep adding files when you get them. My preference would be to create a Project Template for that Client using settings that relate to that customer only, and then create a new Project for each specific Job. But if you are drip fed files for a specific job then I would add them... so would depend on the circumstances.

To add them switch to the source language view (1.) and right-click (2.) to add files. Then select the file and run a batch task to prepare it (this creates the bilingual and pretranslates it for you):

Regards

Paul

Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
filters 101 May 17, 2012

hello Giles
we seem to have different systems, I dont have a TM editor but a TM view, and there the only place I find an add filter icon is in Maintenance and when I click on it - nothing happens.....
so I am not getting anywhere.

Paul, thanks for the info.

Studio 2011 might have nice features (which I already appreciate a lot) but the intuitive user interface obviously has some serious defects, i.e. it does not exist. Totally user-unfriendly.

ok, well, looking forward to the filter 101 absolutely basic level

Heather

Italy
Italian to English
Pre-filter May 17, 2012

Ok, sorry for not being clear.

You are in the right view ("Translation memories").

Open a translation memory of your choice. The TM filter area at the top of your screen will spring to life and you will see the TM filter bar at the top next to the four little funnels, only one of which will be active at this stage. Click on it.

Now click on the newly active "Add" button under the Condition window.

A small Add Condition window will now pop up, offering three options, Field, Operator and Value. The first two contain dropdown menus. If you select "Created on" from the Field menu and "Greater than or equal to" from the Operator menu, the current date will appear in the Value box. If you want to see the TM units you have translated since midday, change "17/05/2012 19.30.00" to "17/05/2012 12.00.00", click on the "Save filter" funnel and then on the big "Perform Search" button at the bottom of the filter area.

G.

[Edited at 2012-05-17 17:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 How do I assign custom fields for all new TU's?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search