Termbase creation in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: scorrell
scorrell
Local time: 13:46
English to German
May 17, 2012

Hi,

I just bought Trados Studio 2011 and am trying to figure out how to create a termbase from a TM so I can use the Term Recognition feature.
Also, when I worked through the sample translation in the Quick Guide I did not get an error message (nor the symbol) in the segment where the number in the target did not match the number in the source (all 3 Verifiers under Verification are selected).

Can anybody help?

Susanne

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:46
English
Using a termbase May 17, 2012

Hi,

You can use MultiTerm in order to create a termbase and then build this as you go. You can also download a free termbase from the OpenExchange that will give you a good start for your language pair... I think.

This one is German...

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=50

This is the Euro Languages collection that includes German...

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=133

On your number recognition issue. Did you make these settings in Tools - Options (so globally) or Project Settings (specific to your Project)? If you made them globally to effect an existing Project then this would have no effect.

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase and number recognition May 18, 2012

Hi Paul,
thanks for the reply. What I was hoping for with the termbase from a TM is to create a faster way to look up individual terms in the client TM, other than copy/pasting or typing the term/s into Concordance Search, since this is not very speedy or convenient. Is there a way to just highlight the term in the source and do something like a TM search? May be I am just doing it wrong, I have only worked with Trados for a few days and am still learning.

As for the numbers recognition, it does not seem to matter where I set the verification, it just does not do it. but then again, maybe my setting are not correct?

Thanks!
Susanne

United Kingdom
English
AutoSuggest May 18, 2012

Hi,

This is what AutoSuggest is for. If your TM isn't large enough to generate one then maybe generate a TMX from the DGT resources and add your TM to it so you have a TM large enough and useful enough to work in this way.

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
AutoSuggest May 18, 2012

Hi Paul,
sorry for asking all these questions, but how do I create AutoSuggest from the TM?
And you might as well speak Chinese - what is a TMX from the DGT?

United Kingdom
English
DGT and AutoSuggest May 18, 2012

Hi Susanne,

Sorry... was a little fast in responding before and left out the detail. The process is actually here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/224785-the_database_file_is_locked_error_message_in_studio_2011_trial_version.html#1946588

But to get the DGT TMs you go here and download the zips and the extraction program:

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html#DGT-TM

Once you have the TMX, or any TM in Studio with at least 25.000 TUs, then you can create an AutoSuggest Dictionary from it by going to Tools - Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary

You do need to have the license for this feature which can be purchased with Freelance, or you can add it on later if you didn't buy it in the first place. It's called SDL AutoSuggest™ Creator 2011 and you can find it here if you don't have it:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-shop/shop_main.asp

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Numbers recognition May 19, 2012

Thanks Paul, I'll check it out!
Any thoughts though on the numbers recognition - could my settings be wrong, even I don't see anything I could/should change?

United Kingdom
English
Numbers Recognition May 19, 2012

Hi Susanne,

When you are in a segment, so that it is active, are the numbers underlined in blue?

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No... May 19, 2012

they are not underlined

United Kingdom
English
Number Recognition May 19, 2012

Hi,

This would be the likely reason for the number verification to fail. If Studio doesn't recognise them as numbers then it also can't verify them.

Can you give an example of the number in the source and also advise your source language?

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
My languages.. May 19, 2012

are English into German.
I followed along with the sample translation in the "Quickstart Guide" for Trados Studio 2011 for "Translating and Reviewing Documents" and everything worked as it was supposed to, but not even there did I get the error symbol (red cicrcle with white cross) that was shown in the screen of the manual.

United Kingdom
English
Status column error messages May 19, 2012

Hi Susanne,

I had to go through the quickstart to see what you meant, but I get it now. I am getting the same problem with any verification... in that the symbol does not display on the status column. The error is picked up, at least it is for me and I see it in the comments window, but it is not showing in the status column as it should.

I'm very surprised not to see this reported earlier... or maybe I just missed it. However, I have reported it this evening.

It's always possible I just couldn't find a setting somewhere so if I find it I'll let you know.

Regards

Paul

scorrell
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Status column error messages May 21, 2012

Hi Paul,

thanks for confirming that it is indeed a malfunction and not due to my settings. It would be nice to have that feature though, if it is available somewhere.

Regards,
Susanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase creation in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search