Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
French to English
+ ...
May 17, 2012

Hi there,

I'm desperately trying to finalize a file in Trados 2009 so I can send to my client within then next hour (it's already 1:30 in the morning and I've been trying for several hours). When updating the main translation memories, I keep getting told that it "could not find file "file name.extension etc".

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
English to Spanish
File? May 17, 2012

What type of file? Did you verify it?

If you are editing a trados 2007 file (ttx) check the tag SourceDocumentPath=" and ensure you have the source document there...

[Edited at 2012-05-17 23:46 GMT]

Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Search your system for the file that cannot be found May 17, 2012

Have you moved/deleted the files that cannot be found? Are they on a network device that is offline?

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File is where it should be. May 17, 2012

Hi Sam and Roy,

Thanks for the quick replies

No, the file is where it should be, in a local directory. I've followed the same procedure as I have since I started using 2009, now all of a sudden it's not working. (Well, I've had lots of problems with it, but this is the first time this has happened)

I've read somewhere that this has to do with embedded files in SDLXLIFFs but I can't remember where. (The source file is larger than most I've done before), and I've verified the file with no problems (The source file is a PPT file).

If only I could bill Trados for the hours I've spent trying to fix problems. I'd make more than I do translating.

Sam Pinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2011)
Russian to English
Restart Trados? May 17, 2012

Have you tried restarting Trados and/or your computer? I'd try that...

Did you make any change whatsoever to the project settings between the last time it worked correctly and when you first hit the problem? Or was there any other event that might have triggered the error you are seeing?

Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
English to Spanish
Restart May 18, 2012

Agree with Sam, restart, but also the computer, Trados 2009 runs on java VM.

Have you tried creating a copy and translating it again from the TM?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Could not find file"

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search