How long should it take to upgrade a translation memory?
Thread poster: Thomas Seligmann

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 09:08
French to English
+ ...
May 18, 2012

I've got a big TM of about 800,000 units from Trados 2007 (tmw).

I am now upgrading it for Trados 2009 (sdltm) in anticipation of future use.

So far it has been going for over 7 hours and it has gone up to 250,000 units. Is it normal to take this long? It's from a memory stick if that makes any difference. Would it be quicker to copy it to my hard drive and import it from there?

At this rate it will take over 24 hours!

I've imported large ones before that have taken maybe 3 hours, but this is crazy. Or is this about the normal speed?

Thanks for any advice!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Depends... May 18, 2012

Hi,

It depends on the spec. of your computer, but more importantly the content of your TM. Studio will do a lot of "clean up" during import so depending on the "condition" of your TM it could takea while. I imported a TM with 1.9 Million TUs earlier in the week from the DGT and this was cut down to 1.2 Million during the clean up. But this only took a few hours.

I would also stick it on the hard drive..!

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-05-18 17:06 GMT]

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! May 18, 2012

Thank you, I have tried again from/to the hard drive, and am already on 150,000 after only 15 minutes or so!

Definitely a memory stick issue!

Thanksicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2012-05-18 17:51 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:08
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Flash drive May 19, 2012

Flash drive take longer time since its interface is USB 2.0 port etc.
The data transfer rate is about 10MB/sec if compare with hard drive on interface of SATA , SATA II or IDE. The latter transfer rate is about 100-150 MB/second.
I copied a video file and it took badly long time with a flash drive.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long should it take to upgrade a translation memory?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search