Studio 2011 Freelance: autopropagation and how to perform automated lookup/apply
Thread poster: Luciana Capisani

Luciana Capisani  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:31
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
May 19, 2012

Hi

I recently posted a query about searching terms in a 700-file project.
I understand now that Studio will not search globally.

Regarding the autopropagation feature, does it work in a similar way? One segment confirmed in file 1 will not autopropagate to file 350?

My guess (and hope) is that, if settings allow, when the identical segment is activated in file 350 there should be an automatic lookup AND apply from TM, correct? Unfortunately this is not happening.

Under Tools>Options, Editor, Autopropagation I have enabled it and checked all boxes in the General section.
Under Editor>Automation I have checked all boxes in both sections.

I have searched the Help and checked the Project Settings and have not a clue as to how to solve this.

The project has a very high number of repetitions and CMs, and I have to insert and confirm each one when they occur among the files (inside the same file everything is ok).

Is there an intelligent way to do it without changing the structure of the project (that is, without merging files or altering the project in any way).

Many many thanks!

Luciana
Desperate Translator on a Saturday (early, very early) morning

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
English
Searching Globally May 19, 2012

Hi Luciana,

You can search globally using the Batch Search & Replace Application. If you have Studio 2011 this is already installed, and if you have Studio 2009 you get it from here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=35

On AutoProp... this will work within a single file or within a merged file. So if you don't have merged files then the AP will only work when you start the next file. You could run a pretranlsate batch task on each file before you start and this will prepopulate with all the work you did before.

If the lookup is not working then the likely suspects are these:

1. You are not updating the TM as you work (ctrl+enter)
2. You don't have update checked
3. You are using open document for each file and working on different TMs (apologies but I have seen this)

I think that covers the usual reasons ... are you working with Projects or the Open Document approach?

Regards

Paul

Luciana Capisani  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:31
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
still scratching my head here..... May 19, 2012

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the options you present:
1. Yes, I use ctrl+enter every single time.
2. there are 3 TMs for the project, all 3 are marked for update in the settings (actually all of them have all options enabled).

3. "You are using open document for each file and working on different TMs (apologies but I have seen this)"

>>> Yes, I open (click) each file in the Files view to open it in the Editor (this seems to be only reasonable -- is there a better way to work?). However, the same TMs (the 3 mentioned above) appear for every file in the Translation Results window (3 names appear in the tab label, besides, this is the only active project I have in Studio). then I have to choose the translated option I want, use ctrl+t and then ctrl+enter again.

If the job was assigned on the assumption I would not be working at all on the repetitions/autopropagated segments then the 700 files should have been merged into a single file, correct? Otherwise there will necessarily be some work involved, even if it is "only" choosing/confirming (ctrl+t and ctrl+enter).

Thanks again

Luciana

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Translation memory not open under 'TM view'? May 19, 2012

I found that in Studio 2011, the TM needs to be closed in the TM view window if you want to use it in 'Editor'. Apart from that, the TMs for the job you're working on need to be selected in 'Project settings' rather than in tools/options/settings, as far as I can tell.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Freelance: autopropagation and how to perform automated lookup/apply

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search