From Trados Studio 2011 to 2007
Thread poster: megumia
megumia  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:34
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 23, 2012

I'm a new user of Trados Studio 2011 without experiencing 2007 version.

Many of my clients are still using 2007, and my Studio does not have it.

Can I use 2007's TM on 2011?
Can I convert 2011's TM to 2007's?

I want to know the detailed steps (or websites describing them).

Trados Studio 2011 Freelanceを初めて購入し、旧版を知らない者です。

2007を使用するクライアントが多く、2011で作業したデータを2007に変換することが可能なのかが知りたいのです。

できればその手順(その手順が掲載されているサイト)も詳しく知りたいです。

Direct link Reply with quote

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:34
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Memory May 23, 2012

T2007 memories can be upgraded to T2011. There is this option inside the program
From T2011 you cannot downgrade the memory to T2007 but you can make a memory export which can be imported in a T2007 memory.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Conversions May 23, 2012

TMs from 2007 into 2011 format: As Alina Maria says, go to the Studio 2011 home page and follow the "upgrade translation memory" wizard. More details here: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Guides/SDL_Trados_Studio_Migration_Guide_en.pdf

TMs from 2011 into 2007 format: export your .sdltm to .tmx (you can do this on the Translation Memories page). TMX is the universal format for exchanging translation memory files so your client will be able to import it into their 2007 TMs.

There is also an app at OpenExchange called SDL Translation Memory Management Utility. It converts your 2011 TM to .tmx and has added features such as removing duplicate entries and reversing the languages.
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=187#tab1

Hope that helps!

[Edited at 2012-05-23 12:24 GMT]

Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but... May 23, 2012

I exported T2011's TM, and a tmx file was made.

Can this file work on T2007? (I don't have T2007.)

Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, I got it! May 23, 2012

Thank you, Emma.

I got it!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
@Emma May 23, 2012

I have Trados 2007. One and only one of my clients has upgraded from Trados 2009 to Trados 2011. When they were on Trados 2009 I received "packages" that I could open and return after done. Do you know how we can continue working with these two versions? Should they send me the tmx plus the original document in Word and, after I'm done, do I return a clean Word document and a tmx so they can update their TM? Or is it more complicated?

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Which version? May 23, 2012

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

I have Trados 2007. One and only one of my clients has upgraded from Trados 2009 to Trados 2011. When they were on Trados 2009 I received "packages" that I could open and return after done.

@ Luisa (long time no see!)

You have Trados 2007 and you were able to open Trados 2009 packages in it???

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Trados Suite 2007 Build 8.30.863 May 23, 2012

Yer, I opened the packages and returned them, without problems, however, I always had to use the TM in the package and mine lagged behind, until I found where the files were stored and devised a way to update mine manually. Now they upgraded to 2011 and the workload they send me is reduced to certain documents that they choose to send me in Word. I would like to find a way to receive their Studio 2011 files and work them on my version of Trados, which is perfectly fine for all my other clients.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
@Luisa. More possibilities May 23, 2012

I didn't know you could open a Studio package in 2007. Maybe you simply unzipped the package (which, after all, is really what it is - a zipped folder).
If it worked for you, then just ask your client to create a 2009 package instead of a 2011 package (it is one of the options in Studio 2011 professional).

Another feature in Studio 2011 is the possibility of working with bilingual workbench doc files. So if you have a Word document (doc or docx) and you translate it with Workbench, you can deliver the clean and unclean files to your client, because they can now open the bilingual file in Studio.

If you decide not to work that way then either you need to send them your TM in tmx format or - better still - work in Tag Editor, since ttx can also be opened in both versions of Studio.

Hope that helps.

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
@Emma, thanks a lot May 23, 2012

They have the latest version but I bet they don't know all its features. I will relay this information to them in the hope that my workload increases again when they see how we can meet halfway to continue our solid professional relationship.

Thanks, again, and it is good to see you too.

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Going to 2011 Jun 1, 2012

@Emma
I finally decided to upgrade from 2007 to 2011. I returned my 2007 license, SDL processsed my order (sinse I purchased 2009 but never installed it the upgrade detected a missing step), then I paid.

Now I have to download/activate 2011 and Multiterm, those are the two downloads I see as available.

Is there a layout or flowchart of the installation which I can use in case I get lost in the process of installing and activating?

What, if any, is your strongest advice before downloading, or before activating the software? MY OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.

(I am done downloading, and installling. Upgrading memories. I am struggling to understand which of the TM compatibility options is best for me, can't figure it out.)

[Edited at 2012-06-02 14:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Trados Studio 2011 to 2007

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search