Spain
Local time: 18:47
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2012

Hello,

I want to save the file as target word and Trados give this message:

"An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: possible field deletion".

¿Can you help me? It's very urgent.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use verification May 24, 2012

Hi Isabel,

The message suggests you are missing a field that is required to put the file correctly back together. So with the file open in the Editor press F8 and this will run a verification and when you open the file up again it should have some messages in the message window explaining where you are missing tags, have incomplete translations, QA Check errors etc.

You then fix the errors explained in the messages.

Regards

Paul

Sibyl Marquardt  Identity Verified
Italy
German to English
+ ...
same problem but can't find origin of error? May 31, 2012

hi Paul,
I saw your reply to Isabel, and at first I thought it would work for me, too. But I have one error line I simply can't get rid of.

It says also "an error occurred when converting files back to MS word format. Possible field(s) deletion", then as origin it says "file writing" and doesn't jump to any line in the text when I click it (like all the others did) seems that this is a more general type of error and I'm lost and have a deadline to meet and am just desperate. ....

can you help?
Sibyl

United Kingdom
English
If you can send me the files... May 31, 2012

... I can take a look. You need to send me your source file and your fully translated sdlxliff.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Isabel Estevez Higueras
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem resolved - new question May 31, 2012

Hello,

My problem was resolved, less than more how Paul explained me. Thank you for the help, Paul.

My question is ¿can I save a file as target all the times I want with new corrections, or must I saves as only once?

Kindly,
Isabel

jimshanks
Local time: 17:47
Dutch to English
Save when you like May 31, 2012

I save many version of the target file. But most importantly I save a copy of the target file BEFORE translating any segments! The reason for this is that if it saves correctly at this stage then I am responsible for it not saving correctly later. I then save at regular intervals during the translation to confirm that it is still saving OK. If it does not, then I have much less to check to see where the error is than if I waited until the end. You may not want to do this, but I find it very useful.
Saving before doing any translation at all will also identify another problem, Error writing page breaks, which you can correct before starting the job as you will have to correct this problem in the source file before you start!

Isabel Estevez Higueras
Spain
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I will do it May 31, 2012

Ok, I will do it for next jobs.

Thank you, jimshanks.
Isabel

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Error while converting fields back to MS Word Sep 5, 2012

I really need assistance. I have a huge translated sdlxliff file that I cannot convert to word. I saw a lot of posts here, but couldn't find one to solve my problem. I have verified all tags, which are ok. I'm being shown errors for dates, which are also correct in my target language. What else can I do?

I tried to send Paul at SDL an email but he seems to be out of his office until Friday.

Will appreciate any help at this desperate moment.

Deolindo

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Solution Found (for My Case) Sep 6, 2012

After nearly 30 sleepless hours searching the Internet and trying all sorts of turnarounds, I finally found what my problem was and decided to explain here how I solved it in case it is helpful to people who may have the same problem in the future.

I'm talking about a 1,069-segment file. There were problems with segments 6, 9, 14, and 264. For the first three, the date in English was "01 Sep 2001", which I wrote as "01 Set 2001" in my target language. The whole nightmare was because of the bloody "t". On segment 264 I had inserted a word before a "field" tag, which was at the beginning of the sentence. Trados seems to get very, very angry when you do that.

I hope this will help other people so that they don't have to go sleepless for 30 hours!

United Kingdom
English
Not the dates... Sep 6, 2012

Hi Deolindo,

Just wanted to note that the dates do not cause this problem. I successfully recovered both your files with the dates as you wrote them. The problem is probably tag related... the date thing would only give you a QA error, and won't prevent the file from being saved.

Regards

Paul

juanpablosans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:47
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have the same problem Apr 25, 2013

Please, I need help with a project that is undergoing the same issue. Please, help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS:Error converting fields back to Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search