Open a Word.docx file which has Source and target languages....(it is pre-translated)
Thread poster: Neil Ashby

Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 15:51
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2012

Hi Mr/Mrs Support....

I have a very large word.docx file.
It is a table with the first column in source language and the second column in the target language - (machine translation + TM of the agency). In many cases the content of the target column is good quality and usable but I don't know how to open the file in Trados 2011 so that the source and target appear where they should.......
Can I separate the two columns into two different word files and then add them to a project as "source" file and "target" file....?????

TIA,
Neil

tomasik
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
Use WinAlign and SDL Trados Studio 2011 May 24, 2012

Hi,
Of course you can do that:
1. Divide the Word table into two separate columns/files (i. e. copy one column and paste in another empty word file), thus creating two Word files with source and target texts respectively.
2. Open WinAlign and align the two files thus creating a bilingual tmx file.
3. Upgrade tmx file to sdltm translation memory.
4. In SDL Trados Studio 2011, open the source file (source table) and translate/review it using TM created under 3.
5. To make the two column Word table again use one of the Opern source application SDLXLIF Converter for MS Office.

ft

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL XLIFF Converter May 24, 2012

After hiding/deleting the target column (do not forget to keep a copy of the original file), if you can manage to import each "cell" as a segment, there is a solution: SDL XLIFF Converter application.

You can generate a Microsoft Word file (layout: side-by-side) and then copy/paste the target translations and re-import.

Neil Ashby
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million Frantsek and Selcuk!! May 25, 2012

Both of your suggestions are kind of what I had in mind....

I shall try Frantsek's idea first (as long as Winalign works - it usually starts and crashes after 1 or 2 mins....).

Anyway thank you very, very much to both of you and I will tell you the results (or ask more questions if I've had any problemsicon_wink.gif ) after the weekend.

Thank you both once again, Neil.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
PlusToyz May 25, 2012

Another option is PlusToyz, it can convert Word table to Trados-like segmented text. Feel free to contact me if the file is not confidential.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open a Word.docx file which has Source and target languages....(it is pre-translated)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search