Does MS Word 2010 Starter work with SDL Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 25, 2012

I just bought a new laptop with MS Word 2010 Starter installed. Will I need to uninstall MS Word 2010 Starter that came preinstalled with the new laptop and install the professional version of MS Word 2010 to be able to translate in SDL Trados? Or can I continue for a while with the Starter-version?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could be... May 25, 2012

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I just bought a new laptop with MS Word 2010 Starter installed. Will I be [able to translate in SDL Trados if] I continue for a while with the Starter-version?

Not sure, but...
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/
...says that the Starter edition can view Word and Excel files created on full versions without loss of data, so at least you would be able to check visually if a conversion went okay or not. If you edit a complex file in the Starter edition, data loss may occur, however.

Also, the system requirements at...
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio/#tab4
...make no mention of MS Office as a requirement to use Trados.

Trados 2011 uses Hunspell for spell-checking, but you can also use MS Word's spell-checking ability. Although the Starter edition does come with spell-checking, I'm not sure if you would be able to use it in Trados 2011.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does MS Word 2010 Starter work with SDL Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search