Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 26, 2012

Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file when I try to open it?

I received four files from my customer: two .doc-files and two .xls-files, plus the TM-files. I can open the .doc-files in TagEditor, but receive this error message when trying to open the .xls-files. Why?

I don't have to connect to any server for the TM (I received the five TM-files and use them directly in my Trados 2007 TagEditor). So I can't understand why I get this error message about error and connection with server.

By the way, I only have MS Office 2010 Starter-version, not the professional. Could that be a cause to this problem?

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The source files have been created in a Chinese version of MS Office May 26, 2012

I tried the same files and TM on my old laptop (as I have the plus-version of Trados), and could open the first .xls-file there, and also the second one, although after a while (for the second .xls) I get the same error message about server connection as I get on my new laptop.

When I can open these two .xls-files on my new laptop, I can see that the files have been created in a Chinese MS Office (as there are Chinese characters displayed in the files, but the translation is from English to Swedish).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search