Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 26, 2012

Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file when I try to open it?

I received four files from my customer: two .doc-files and two .xls-files, plus the TM-files. I can open the .doc-files in TagEditor, but receive this error message when trying to open the .xls-files. Why?

I don't have to connect to any server for the TM (I received the five TM-files and use them directly in my Trados 2007 TagEditor). So I can't understand why I get this error message about error and connection with server.

By the way, I only have MS Office 2010 Starter-version, not the professional. Could that be a cause to this problem?

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The source files have been created in a Chinese version of MS Office May 26, 2012

I tried the same files and TM on my old laptop (as I have the plus-version of Trados), and could open the first .xls-file there, and also the second one, although after a while (for the second .xls) I get the same error message about server connection as I get on my new laptop.

When I can open these two .xls-files on my new laptop, I can see that the files have been created in a Chinese MS Office (as there are Chinese characters displayed in the files, but the translation is from English to Swedish).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do I get error message "Connection with server application error" in TagEditor for .xls-file?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search