Applying changes to several files in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: xxxMonica_Lopez
xxxMonica_Lopez
May 28, 2012

Dear colleagues:

I have a question that has been bothering me for a long time now. Let's suppose I have a project with 2 files in Studio (in this case, 2011) and when reviewing one of the files, I make all necessary changes to the corresponding segments. Now, the second file is almost identical to the file I just reviewed. How do I get Trados to apply the changes made to the first file to the same segments of the 2nd file? I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but I was thinking that there has to be a way other than comparing each segment to the TM window to see if there are any changes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Mónica.-

Direct link Reply with quote

tomasik
Slovakia
Local time: 17:42
German to Slovak
+ ...
Use the same TM for both May 28, 2012

Hi,
you have to use the same translation memory for both files.

xxxMonica_Lopez
TOPIC STARTER
I know but... May 29, 2012

what I mean is, after translating both files and it's time to review them, I would like to know if there is a way to apply the changes that I make on one file to the other file. I am using the same TM, but after reviewing one file and making the necessary changes, I still need to review the other file and apply the same changes.

I appreciate your response anyway!

Best,

Mónica

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:42
English
Use a pretranslate batch task... May 29, 2012

... making sure that you set the option to always overwrite existing translation if a better match is found.

However, this is final and you get no way to check as you go. So if you are certain that you won't overwrite anything you didn;t want to overwrite then this is the fastest way to go. The option is here:

Project Settings - All Language Pairs - Batch processing - Pre-translate File - "then select the overwrite mode you want"

Alternatively... open the files one at a time and use the translate to fuzzy option to confirm and translate until next fuzzy match. This will run through the file looking for segments that now have a different value in the TM than the one in the segment (so your updated segments). So you confirm and continue. Takes lonmger than the batch task because you have to go through the file but it does allow you the comform of only accepting differences you really want.

This option is available when in the Editor under Translation - Confirm until next fuzzy match (ctrl+alt+f is the default shortcut).

Regards

Paul

Paula Mahler
Argentina
Local time: 12:42
French to Spanish
+ ...
I would like to know May 29, 2012

if this option is also available when we are translating a package.
Thanks a lot,
Paula

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applying changes to several files in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search