SDL Trados 2007: Restore activation not returned before reinstalling OS?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
May 29, 2012

I needed to reinstall my OS, and to prepare for that, I uninstalled SDL Trados 2007 Freelance *and* SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance first. I didn't return the licenses, following the advice here: http://www.filose.com/site/blog/116-different-types-of-sdl-trados-2011-licenses . These are not the official instructions and they may not apply to Trados 2007 spe... See more
I needed to reinstall my OS, and to prepare for that, I uninstalled SDL Trados 2007 Freelance *and* SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance first. I didn't return the licenses, following the advice here: http://www.filose.com/site/blog/116-different-types-of-sdl-trados-2011-licenses . These are not the official instructions and they may not apply to Trados 2007 specifically, but I realized that too late.

Now, after I have reinstalled the OS and both applications, Studio works OK, but Trados 2007 asks me to activate it. When I choose to connect to local license server (27000@localhost), it Trados 2007 loads after a delay and works until next launch when it displays activation window again. In "My Licenses" on SDL site, it's displayed as activated. Yet the License Manager tells me "No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The license server could not be reached." Now, I have additional activation but would prefer not to spend them.

Can I return this license somehow?

[Edited at 2012-05-29 15:40 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please May 29, 2012

make a search of this forum: this problem is discussed regularly, if I am not mistaken, there is even a thread of today.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support wouldn't help return license, had to use an extra activation May 30, 2012

Update: I logged a support case with SDL, but they didn't seem to be willing or able to help me return the license I had to activate SDL Trados 2007 using an extra activation, and I guess the original activation is lost forever.

Therefore, folks, don't ever uninstall SDL Trados 2007 without returning the license first!

I have to say that this is a very awkward and unintuitive system. Every other software
... See more
Update: I logged a support case with SDL, but they didn't seem to be willing or able to help me return the license I had to activate SDL Trados 2007 using an extra activation, and I guess the original activation is lost forever.

Therefore, folks, don't ever uninstall SDL Trados 2007 without returning the license first!

I have to say that this is a very awkward and unintuitive system. Every other software I have used handles activation better and doesn't force the user to manually return the license on uninstall.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:25
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Users should read license agreements May 30, 2012

The license information is available everywhere: in the videos, manual, help, forums and, of course, in the license itself which you see on the screen during software installation. You only need to take a while to read it.

[Edited at 2012-05-30 10:57 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, reading is important May 30, 2012

Natalie wrote:

The license information is available everywhere: in the videos, manual, help, furums and, of course, in the license itself which you see on the screen during software installation. You only need to take a while to read it.

You are quite right, Natalie, in pointing this out, and this is my fault. It doesn't however change the fact that most of the software out there handles it better.

Also, I have an important update regarding activation that can be useful for others to know. The latest email from SDL support says that the first instance of the license *will not get lost*, because once all the licenses will have status in use, the user can return it manually by selecting the oldest activation based on its date.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007: Restore activation not returned before reinstalling OS?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »