https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/226219-studio_2011_can_i_change_sublanguage.html

Studio 2011 - Can I change Sublanguage ?
Thread poster: Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 2, 2012

Hi everybody,

Today is my very first day with Studio 2011 (upgraded from Trados 2007). So I have no clue about this tool

I received a Package (which I managed to unpack) and found that the Source Language is defined as Canadian English. Since all my TMs (which I was able to convert to 2011) are either British or US English the system tells me, that I cannot even open and use those as a reference (because
... See more
Hi everybody,

Today is my very first day with Studio 2011 (upgraded from Trados 2007). So I have no clue about this tool

I received a Package (which I managed to unpack) and found that the Source Language is defined as Canadian English. Since all my TMs (which I was able to convert to 2011) are either British or US English the system tells me, that I cannot even open and use those as a reference (because of the Source Text being defined as Canadian English).

Now I am wondering how I can change the Sublanguage of the Source Text to either BR or US English.
Alternatively I could also in my TM (if this option exists in 2011) change the BR or US English into CA. How would I do this? (In 2007 this was easy, I just exported into txt, made a global change from "Lang=BR" into which ever Sublanguage I needed, and imported the changed txt back into the TM).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!
Helga
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
English
Same process really.. Jun 2, 2012

Hi Helga,

You need to do the same thing. So export to TMX and then replace the UK code with CA. Then create a new TM in Studio with the correct sub language pair and import the TMX into it.

You could use the one of the OpenExchange apps to convert your fully translated Studio bilingual to TMX and use this to update your other TMs and keep them in synch.

Regards

Paul

Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 2, 2012

Thank you, Paul.
At least it works this way. I was blond enough to hope Studio would be so sophisticated to "ignore" the Sublanguage Code and simply accept each and any variant of any given language.
Helga

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Helga,

You need to do the same thing. So export to TMX and then replace the UK code with CA. Then create a new TM in Studio with the correct sub language pair and import the TMX into it.

You could use the one of the OpenExchange apps to convert your fully translated Studio bilingual to TMX and use this to update your other TMs and keep them in synch.

Regards

Paul

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
the usual workaround solution = waste of time Oct 17, 2012

Thank you for the "advise". I hope you realize what a waste of time (and of disk space/organization/file update tracking) this is, if I want to apply one or more large memories to a small translation project, while ignoring sublanguages.

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Helga,

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
English
I completely agree Oct 17, 2012

Luca Tutino wrote:

Thank you for the "advise". I hope you realize what a waste of time (and of disk space/organization/file update tracking) this is, if I want to apply one or more large memories to a small translation project, while ignoring sublanguages.

I would love to have a TM provider that could be used for lookup only (as we use the sublanguages for too many things) so you had a TM for each direction and sublanguage you work with. Then you keep a template with them all in and only update the relevant one but read them all.

Perhaps we'll see this in the near future?

Regards

Paul

AnyTM translation provider Mar 26, 2013

Have a look at the AnyTM translation provider app on SDL OpenExchange. It allows you to use any TM in any language as a reference TM without having to go through a clunky export/import process.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=368

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Can I change Sublanguage ?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »