New computer - now Trados is empty
Thread poster: Gundi Bunker

Gundi Bunker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
English to German
Jun 4, 2012

I bought a new laptop and went to the re-activation process of my existing licence. All is sorted and Trados is running fine but all my old projects are no longer showing. Do I have to start from scratch again? It must be possible to transfer all the data that was in Trados on the old pc into the new Trados, or not?

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to retrieve project files Jun 4, 2012

Trados doesn't sound "empty" to me. You've simply done a clean installation on a new machine. It's like installing Word on a new machine. You have to tell Word where you have copied old files to, otherwise it won't find them.

I would advise you to create new projects from scratch because otherwise Studio may well "look" for files, TMs, TBs, etc. in the paths that belong to your old pc and you will get constant error messages.

However, you can try just copying your projects from wherever you stored them on your old computer. I don't use the default place, but it is probably C:\Users\[username]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects.

And you also need to copy your TMs, TBs, autosuggest dictionaries on to your new computer.

Good luck!

Gundi Bunker  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for your reply, Emma.

It doesn't make sense to me that I won't be able to copy data from A to B in one go. I have filed all my Trados projects in different files (by clients) and having to go through every single one of them can't be the solution. It would take me hours to do this.

So I thought there must be a faster way to do this.

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transferred files? Jun 4, 2012

Have you transferred all your project files and TMs to the new computer? If so, it may just be that the projects aren't appearing on the list in the Project window (if that's the case, go to Open --> Project). If not, you will have to copy them over!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
New computer same OS and same username? Jun 4, 2012

Hi Gundi,

If they are the same OS and you used the same username so the path to your Studio folders and documents folders are the same, then you can probably copy all the files in one go and then just copy the projects.xml file into your Studio projects folder. Then when you start up Studio they will all be there.

But if the paths to your TMs, TBs, Projects etc. are not the same then as Emma pointed out you will have to open them all manually if you want them all to appear in your projects list.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer - now Trados is empty

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search