Tomasz Kościuczuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:09
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2012

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to format target text in Trados Studio Freelance 2009 so that the formatting is visible in the target DOCX file.

I am participating in a rather complex workflow and my task is going to be to run hundreds of short DOCX files through Trados using the client's TM so that they get pre-translated. We expect over 80% of segments to be context matches and the remaining segments to be fuzzy matches. The pre-translated files will be distributed to proofreaders who will update them manually against the source DOCX, not using Trados or another CAT tool. I am not sure why the client has designed such a workflow but so they have and it is beyond my control to change it.

Anyway, I need to make sure that target segments other than context matches and possibly 100% matches get highlighted (or marked in any other way) so that the proofreaders can easily see them. I would imagine that Trados has a function to AUTOMATICALLY format target text under customisable criteria, does it?

If not, would anyone think of a workaround to this problem? Again, there are hundreds of short files so I am seeking for an automated solution which will save the time.

Any suggestions are welcome please.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Jun 4, 2012

... if your client would be happy to use the output from the SDLXLIFF Converter then this would help. The segments could be coloured in the word document that is output using this tool and then the proof readers can update this. The advantage being that you can import it back in again and get all the changes automatically into your bilinguals files and subsequently your TM and your client gets the control over the colours.

It's not the real target docx file as it will contain source and target and no formatting, but if acceptable would save you a lot of work.

I can't think of an automated way to get this into the target file itself though.

Regards

Paul

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This is possible in SDLX Jun 5, 2012

But probably not in Studio. So they better do the editing in Studio, not in Word.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this Jun 5, 2012

In Editor View, when „translation” is finished , in the Display window select „Fuzzy Matches” to display only fuzzy matches, select all filtered segments on the target side and choose one formatting option: bold, italic, underline or click on any pair of quotation characters in the toolbar (if not in the original text) – which seems to be the most suitable. In the Display window select „All Segments” to display all segments again. If quotation marks are chosen, delete them during the translation/revision procedure. Let me know if this does not work for you.

United Kingdom
English
Sort of... in SDLX Jun 5, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But probably not in Studio. So they better do the editing in Studio, not in Word.

Hello Heinrich,

When generating a preview from within SDLX you can. The menu is called “edit translation preview” and works for most source formats (but not XML – unless you generate a html preview using an xsl script). You cannot generate a post-processed file with this color marking, it only works from the preview. But, depending on how you prepped the file e.g. Doc, the preview will pretty much look like the final file. It’s good enough for client review if it has to happen outside of SDLX. 

But no impor back in, which is a big advantage of the SDLXLIFF Converter.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-06-05 08:53 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Sort of... in SDLX Jun 5, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Hello Heinrich,

When generating a preview from within SDLX you can. The menu is called “edit translation preview” and works for most source formats (but not XML – unless you generate a html preview using an xsl script). You cannot generate a post-processed file with this color marking, it only works from the preview. But, depending on how you prepped the file e.g. Doc, the preview will pretty much look like the final file. It’s good enough for client review if it has to happen outside of SDLX. 

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting target text in Studio

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search