Automated translation status Studio 2011
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:59
Member (2015)
German to English
Jun 6, 2012

At the moment I'm translating something that lists the various countries a client is active in. To speed up the process, I've activated the automated translation engines but now I'm wondering whether the client may see that they've been automatically done. They do, of course, still need checking and proofreading - the Ivory Coast is an example of this - but I'm concerned that my client will only see the AT in the translation and deduct something from my bill. What exactly ishows up on the translation when it's delivered via Trados? The client also uses Studio 2011, by the way.

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:59
Member (2008)
French to English
In bilingual file Jun 6, 2012

If you send a bilingual file or project package then, yes, it will show that MT was the source.

Try it yourself. Save the translation as a SDLXLIFF, close it and reopen it. The MT segments will show up as Origin: MT.

[Edited at 2012-06-06 17:52 GMT]

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:59
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Workaround Jun 7, 2012

Could you not just let the MT run, confirm all segments, then when you've finished the whole translation, open up the ST file and translate without MT, using only your TMs which will now have the country names stored? Or would the client also expect discounts if he/she notices that it was a 100%/context match from your TM?

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:59
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Let your fingers do the walking... Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for the answers, shame about that as sometimes automated translation is really handy for things like that.
Yes, John, the client would definitely wanat a discount for 100% matches. Guess I have no choice but to enter them all by hand again.

Nani Delgado  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
German to Spanish
. Jun 7, 2012

I have never used GT, so I can´t help you with this issue since I don´t know which data will be saved while translating with GT.

M00nshine wrote:
Yes, John, the client would definitely wanat a discount for 100% matches. Guess I have no choice but to enter them all by hand again.

Anyway, I have doubts on this one, because it´s not related to GT but to any TM in general that you would want to use for your work:

How would your client possibly know what you have in your own TM and whether you used matches coming from your own previous work? If you use your TM and there are words/segments that you really can use for this particular translation, why should you grant him any discount on this? You could have translated something similar for someone else in the past, but this is another client, so you should charge him in full. It also was your time and money that you invested to buy this software to be able to use your own translations in the future. You can use several TMs in a project, for the case that the client gave you his own TM. You could use his and yours at the same time and, when you are finished, you could send him the new project memory exporting the bilingual ".sdlxliff" into a new ".tmx", for example. Maybe this helps?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automated translation status Studio 2011

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search