Trados Studio 2011 Starter, Can't use TM. Please help.
Thread poster: YukikoFlorida
Jun 8, 2012

Hello all,

I am new here on Proz.com. I have recently purchased Trados Studio 2011 Starter online.
This is my first Trados experience so I am very new and please excuse me if my question
sounds too novice...

When I open a new file, "Translation Memories" tub on the left of the screen
is not highlighted (gray) and it says "Please upgrade your license to enable this feature."
Even Starter edition is supposed to have TM feature so I am confused...

Can anybody help me on this?

Thank you in advance!

Yukiko

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:34
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TM maintenance Jun 9, 2012

The greyed out tab is for TM maintenance, which you can't do in the Starter version.

Open a document to translate, add a TM in the wizard and you're away.

If you haven't got a TM yet, create one in the same wizard.

HTH

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:34
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Only one TM at a time can be showing in the list of TMs (2011 Starter)! Jun 9, 2012

Another thing to remember - the SDL 2011 Starter version only (in my experience) takes 1 (ONE) TM at a time! so if an agency sends you a job, with its own TM, yes, you can do it - BUT: you need to "remove" the TM that you already have from the list of available TMs, so that only one is showing. It does not seem to be enough to simply "unselect" the TM you already have. Click the big red cross that says "REMOVE" in scary red letters. It does not destroy the TM you are removing, it just stops it from being associated with the job you are doing, and next time you open a different file for translation, you will be offered you old TM again (or at the very least can go and get it from the place in your computer where it is saved, by clicking "Add" then choosing "file-based TM", finding it on your computer, and double-clicking).

Hope this helps!

Filipa

YukikoFlorida
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jun 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your help!

HTH, I didn't notice the grey area is TM Maintenance till you pointed out since I can't read the whole context. Now it makes sense!

Filipa, thank you for the additional info. I haven't got so far yet but the info is great to know in advance. I see you use Mac on your profile pic. I usually use Mac, but I was not aware Trados works only on Windows till I downloaded this Starter. I have windows laptop as well but hope they will be Mac compatible in the future as well...

Again, thank you both!!

Yukiko

Charlotte Milstein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:34
German to English
Same question, but full version Jun 14, 2012

Hey there! I have the full version of 2011 and I have kind of the same question. When I have a file open and I click on the TM tab (below the editor on the left-hand navigation) to search in the TM and the whole thing is grayed out. Since the explanation was "you have the Starter version" what would it be for me? I'd appreciate the help as this is one of the main reasons I got the full version... to be able to maintain and search the TMs...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 Starter, Can't use TM. Please help.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search