Thread poster: Don Hartig

Don Hartig  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
Member (2010)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2012

Hello everyone,

Could anyone help me with the following problem?

I have two rather large bilingual doc documents and would like to extract the info for import into a Trados 2009 TM. I have tried many methods and tricks to try to accomplish this but to no avail since Trados 2009 refuses to even open the document each time because it is bilingual.

I have also tried the 2007 route, but unless I'm missing something, possibly obvious, there is no way to save the bilingual info into a new TM created by 2007 either.

I have also tried simply importing xlf files created from the bilingual documents into my 2009 TM, but although the import window indicates that imports have been made, I can confirm that they have not, since no info is transferred into the TM at all and there are no matches in the target column with 100% match source sentences I created in separate experimental documents to check after the import each time.

Even if there were a way to somehow isolate the source text and then at least create an importable file using Winalign, this would be helpful, but it seems that only the target text can be isolated by means of the cleanup function in 2007.

Would really appreciate your advice on this one if any of you have run into this problem before.

Thank you.

D

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:05
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
One possible way Jun 10, 2012

There should be a simpler way, but if all else fails, you could:

Save these two files as RTF.

Load them into Okapi Rainbow. Set the encoding and languages.

Try to create a XLIFF project / or an OmegaT project from them. There should be TMX files generated somewhere in the folder structure of the project.

Regards,

Piotr Bieńkowski

tomasik
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
If having Trados 2007... Jun 10, 2012

Hi,
If you have SDL Trados 2007:
1. Open Translator Workbench and create an empty translation memory.
2. Clean up the two files (Tools>Clean up... updating the TM).
3. Export the TM (File>Export... into a tmx file).

In studio 2009:
Upgrade the tmx file to sdltm translation memory.

xxxchristela
And in Wordfast Classic Jun 10, 2012

Just create a new TM and clean the document. Trados bilingual Word-documents are entirely WF-compatible!

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
Member (2007)
English to Russian
TMX Jun 10, 2012

You should convert your bilingual doc into TMX file and then import this TMX file into working Studio TM. For conversion to TMX you can use free ApSIC Xbench utility (select Trados Word File option to add bilingual doc to Xbench project), or Trados Workbench, or WordFast, as already suggested

Member (2010)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why is export function in 2007 greyed? Jun 10, 2012

Thanks,

I downloaded Xbench and followed your instructions but it seems it will take me just as long to figure out how to use it as it is taking me to figure out why my export function in 2007 is greyed out.

Would appreciate any more advice as nothing is working so far.

D

Heike Schwarz  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
another tedious workaround Jun 10, 2012

Hi Don,

Across does this easily and its free for freelancers, check out: http://www.my-across.net/en/index.aspx - afterwards you can export the work as a tmx file.

This is probably not really an option for you, but I thought I'd give it a try....one never knows...and one has to remain creative

All the best,

Heike

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Xbench - How To Jun 11, 2012

Short instructions:
step 1: (Xbench main menu) Project -> New -> Add -> Select Trados Word File and then press Next -> Open your biling doc -> Next -> OK -> OK
Now you have TM from biling in Xbench

step 2: (main menu) Tools -> Export items... -> In open Export Item panel fill File Name field (you can press ... button to select directory) and select source and target languages. -> OK

Now you should have TMX file as specified in step 2.
Use it to update Studio TM.
Good luck!

Member (2010)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Piotr! Oct 28, 2012

Thank you Piotr!!

I apologize for the late reply. I didn't have time to try your final instruction for a couple of months but today I tried it and finally succeeded in expanding my TM tremendously thanks to your help.

Once again, thank you!!

Sincerely,

Don Hartig
Certified Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use bilingual doc file to update TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search