Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:43
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 11, 2012

I just got sent a bunch of word files to translate. I haven't used the Create Project feature before, and I wonder what the benefits are?

I have now created a project for these files and I should be ready to start. But which files do I begin with?

I am translating from English to Danish, and these are the folders I see in the main folder where I created the project:

Folder: da-DK
Folder: en-US
Folder: File Types
Folder: Reports
Folde
... See more
I just got sent a bunch of word files to translate. I haven't used the Create Project feature before, and I wonder what the benefits are?

I have now created a project for these files and I should be ready to start. But which files do I begin with?

I am translating from English to Danish, and these are the folders I see in the main folder where I created the project:

Folder: Tm
SDL Trados Studio Project File: The name of my project

What do I do with all that, please?

Thanks!
Collapse

František Tomášik
František Tomášik
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
Go to Project menu... Jun 11, 2012

1. Go to Project menu (Lefthand down) and check (highlight) the project you have opened.
2. Open the Files menu (Lefthand down) and roll down the Project files in target language. On the Tab right, you will see the *.sdlxliff files you have to translate into Danish.
3. Double klick on the first file and Editor display will be opened.
4. Check Project settings... and you can translate...

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:43
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Merge files Jun 11, 2012

I hadn´t used the create project feature much either but did so the other day as it allows you to merge all the word files into one and then work on them all together in the Editor View which is handy. When you save they are save as per the original individual files.

BTW, you need to select "Merge Files" during the project creation st
... See more
I hadn´t used the create project feature much either but did so the other day as it allows you to merge all the word files into one and then work on them all together in the Editor View which is handy. When you save they are save as per the original individual files.

BTW, you need to select "Merge Files" during the project creation stage.

See http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/224801-studio_2011_freelance:_how_to_find_a_term_in_several_files_at_once.html "Just use the Save as target command under the File menu, and the target files will be saved in their corresponding target language folder within the folder structure of the project package."

Maybe there are more benefits?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Using projects Jun 12, 2012

Hi Ditte,

There are two ways of working with Studio. The first is with what we call "single file projects" and the second just "projects". "Single file projects" are created by using the open document command which allows you to do the following:

1. select your single file for translation
  2. select your single language pair
  3. add a TM(s) (make more advanced changes if yo... See more
Hi Ditte,

There are two ways of working with Studio. The first is with what we call "single file projects" and the second just "projects". "Single file projects" are created by using the open document command which allows you to do the following:

1. select your single file for translation
  2. select your single language pair
  3. add a TM(s) (make more advanced changes if you wish to various settings; add a Termbase, AutoSuggest Dictionary or configure match percentages for lookup & concordance etc.)
  4. start translating
  5. target file is saved by default in the same folder as the source (with the same name too so you need to change it when you save)

You cannot add more files to this project, you would just do one file at a time using this method.

The second way, which is the way you have chosen (using Studio 2009 because the filetypes folder is not used anymore for Studio 2011) is known as working with "projects". This method allows you to create your project with things like the following

1. any number of language pairs
  2. any number of files/folders as single files or merged as you wish into one or groups of merged files
  3. any number of TMs, TBs or specific settings all based around templates that you can prepare beforehand for reuse (one for each customer or subject area you work with for example)
  4. the ability to use Project TMs while you work and only update your Main TM once you are happy with the translations in the project.
  5. various detailed reports are prepared analysing the project in the way you wish
  6. prepare project packages to send out to others for translation or review (Professional version required for this)
  7. the ability to manage a full translate-review-signoff workflow or similar with different statuses for the segments as you work
  8. target files are saved by default into language folders created for the project, source files are copied into a source language folder for the project... so you always work safely and in a consistent way in the Studio projects folder

This isn't an exhaustive list but for many, who use the Project template idea this provides a fast and consistent way to work because you almost only select your template and then add the files... that's it. The rest of the settings are catered for by the templates you created.

In your case the folders are created by default, and you would open the files for tranlsation in the files view in Studio rather than navigate the folders in explorer and try to pick them out in there. In fact if you did this you run the risk of creating lots of single file projects within your project and this could get very messy and confusing.

On your folder structure:

This is your target language folder (there can be any number of these depending on how many target languages you are working with). It contains the bilingual sdlxliff files Studio uses and will also save the target language files (word in this example) when you are done

This is the source language folder and it will contain partially segmented sdlxliff files that are used to create target language files as and when you add more target languages to the project.

This was a concept used in Studio 2009 and it contains the filetypes that could be used for the prohect. These are specific to your project so changes made to the default filetypes are held in here and will not affect any other projects.

As the name suggests... this holds the reports generated when you create the project, or when you run more through the batch tasks. These are also accessed through the Reports View and not directly in this folder... although some users do this as they integrate the reporting into other tools.

Folder: Tm
This contains Project TMs. These are only created if you use the project method and are always placed into this folder by default

SDL Trados Studio Project File: The name of my project
This contains metadata for the project. If you close the project or remove it from the projects view then you can add it back by opening the project file.

I hope this elaborates a bit on what this is all for?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for the answers!

The merge files sounds very handy, and I will be sure to use that! Thanks rich.

And thanks Paul for the overview. That really helped!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why create project?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »