Upgrade to Studio 2011 SP1, is it worthwhile?
Thread poster: Mirjam Spekking
Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 11, 2012

Hi,

I have a few questions about upgrading to Studio 2011 SP1. I have been working with the SDL Trados 2011, (i.e. not the first SP1) for approx. 9 months now. After a bumpy start I have been fairly satisfied (now and then a bit slow, but then I have more TM's and more Multiterm databases open and very large ttx.files running).

However, recently i have been experiencing recurrent troubles with the translation providers. For some reason I suddenly get the message that the TM I am working with is locked. Usually I can restart, or simply close the file and reopen, but it is happening more and more frequently recently.

I read somewhere this issue can be solved by installing the service pack SP1. I have been confronted with the automatic update message that SP1 is ready every time I start up the program, but I have been afraid to install, afraid of issues since the whole setup has been running so relatively smoothly and I want to keep it that way.

So, my first question, can this problem with locked databases be solved by installing service pack1? And the second question, will it be worth my while?

I work on an iMac (build 2011) Mac OSX version 10.7.4, with VMWare Fusion installed, 4.1.2. (Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, all latest updates installed).

The reason I am hesitant is that it took me quite a while to get everything up and running. After the install I had some major problems with licenses, all solved now, but it took weeks and I cannot afford to lose much time.

Also, I want to know if you can install on top of the previous (2011) version, or if I have to deinstall 2011 first (handing in my license). I cannot find any clear information on this in the install notes (it seems as if they are written for people upgrading from previous versions, or perhaps I am overlooking it.) Same here, I tried to find some clear info on this on the forum here, so far I have not.

Any help or info is welcome, also if there is a previous forum topic on this I welcome a link.

Thanks very much so far!

Mirjam

[Edited at 2012-06-11 16:01 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

tomasik
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
Do not uninstall... Jun 11, 2012

see Installlation Guide:

„UPGRADE AND COMPATIBILITY INFORMATION
Information For Upgraders
If you currently have a previous version of SDL Trados or SDLX installed, you do not need to uninstall them before installing SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP1. The new version of the software will update an existing installation of SDL Trados Studio 2011 or will be installed side-by-side with previous versions of the software.

If you want to install SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP1 on the same machine, make sure that you install the 2009 version first.“

Is it not clear enough?

[Upravené o 2012-06-11 20:19 GMT]

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but no full answer yet! Jun 21, 2012

Thanks for the reply. It is very clear, thank you.

I also would like to hear from people who installed SP1. What are your experiences?

It would really help me!

Thanks in advance.

Mirjam

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My experience Jun 21, 2012

Mirjam Spekking wrote:
I also would like to hear from people who installed SP1. What are your experiences

Absolutely no troubles whatsoever except for mid-sized FrameMaker (MIF) documents.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, and about the activation. Need I to return it? Jun 21, 2012

Thanks for the swift response. It is good to know you did not encounter any problems, except for the one you mentioned. (so far now frame maker docs here...) Did you also install the cumulative updates?

What I tried to find out on the internet: do I need to return my activation for this upgrade? If I do, is it easy to license the upgrade, or is it automatically licensed? If I don't, do I run the risk of losing one of my activations?

(You will notice I have a lot of fears: all of the above has happened to me before, at one time. It was solved, eventually, but it took time!)

thanks again

Mirjam

[Edited at 2012-06-21 15:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-21 15:13 GMT]

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated and functional Jun 21, 2012

Just to let you know: I did it!

It works just fine. First returned the activation, then installed SP1, then the accumulative updates, reactivated and it runs very smoothly.

Before that I updated the Mac, cleaned the Windows slave and then updated with all latest updates.

Thanks for your input!

Mirjam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to Studio 2011 SP1, is it worthwhile?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search