Thread poster: Jennifer Gray

Jennifer Gray  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:34
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

Hi all you Trados wizards out there. I hope you can help me with a recurring problem in loading certain file types in Trados Studio 2011. This happens when I am sent files translated in an earlier version of Trados for proofreading. The error message I get is "file type not supported". I also notice that these files do not have any extension (e.g. ttx). I can open them in Word, and see both target and source texts, but there is no way to load them in Trados. I have read about problems loading rtf files in Trados 2011, could this be the problem?
Thanks for your help.
Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:34
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Yes, rtf is the problem Jun 12, 2012

Hi Jennifer,

I had the same problem. As soon as I saved the file as .doc I could open it in Trados without any problems. Then after finishing I needed again to save it as rtf to please the client.

Regards,

Maria

Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that! Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for you input, Maria. I've tried that, tried saving the files as .doc, .rtf - you name it. Do you simply open the doc in Word and save it again? Or is there something I'm missing here. The PM who sends the files has no problem opening the doc, but she's using 2009.
I'm really stuck with this.

Bulgaria
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Yes! Jun 12, 2012

Open it in Word and through Save As save it as a .doc file. Then open the .doc file in Studio, not the .rtf file!

Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it, but in another way Jun 12, 2012

Your suggestions put me on the right track.
The problem with these particular files is that they have no extension (not even rtf, in fact, I only suspect they are saved as rtf, I'm not sure), and have already been translated in Trados and then sent to me for proofreading, so opening them in Word in windows and saving as .doc doesn't work.
However, I tried opening the file in Word for Mac OS (which I also have on my computer), and saving it as a .docx file (Mac word format). Then I tried opening it is Trados, and for some inexplicable reason... it worked!
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.
best
Jennifer

Bulgaria
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
I am glad! Jun 13, 2012

Dear Jennifer,

I am glad the problem is solved!

Take care!

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem loading files in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search