Should I upgrade to Office 2010 while using Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Pauliina Kauppila

Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

Hi there,

I've happily been using Trados 2007 Freelance with Office 2003 for years now. Recently I got myself a new laptop and started to consider upgrading some of my software... in the end, I purchased Office 2010. Unfortunately I did not realise until afterwards that people have been having endless trouble with this combination. What's more, the Office 2010 that I bought and downloaded seems to be the 64-bit version. (Maybe this happened by default because the laptop itself has 64-bit Win 7?)

Meanwhile, I also returned the Trados license from my old laptop and installed Trados 2007 on the new laptop. At this stage I discovered that Trados 2007 and 64-bit Office 2010 are not compatible. Groan. Needless to say, I am kicking myself for not having checked this out beforehand.

So I am now contemplating my next move and wondering what the best thing to do is. I have already uninstalled 2010 because I wanted to see if I could install Office 2003 on the laptop instead; unfortunately this did not work either and I kept getting the "Installation source has been corrupted" error. I don't know whether this is because

a) since my laptop doesn't have a disc drive, I copied the contents of the installation disc to the desktop and tried to run it from there
b) some licensing issue
c) some 32-bit / 64-bit issue?

What do you think? Should I persist and try and get trusty old Office 2003 on my laptop? Or should I try and get a 32-bit version of Office 2010 instead?

Can I just add that absolutely HATE the Office 2010 interface. I am pretty quick and comfortable on the old-style Office menus, so having to spend weeks getting up to speed with the 'ribbon' style controls is also not an appealing prospect.

Any advice/opinions welcome.

PS. Incidentally, is it possible to 'return' an Office 2003 license from one computer and use it again on another one? If it is, I could perhaps return the license from my old laptop and use it on my new laptop.

-- A note: I should add that my main client uses Trados 2007, so I am not too keen to upgrade to Trados Suite at this stage.

[Edited at 2012-06-12 18:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:31
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Why not? Jun 13, 2012

Why not consider upgrading to Studio 2011? It works perfectly with Office 2010.

BeaDeer  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Virtualized environment (XP)? Jun 13, 2012

Have you tried using Office 2003 and Trados 2007 in virtualized environment (VirtualBox, for example) on your 64-bit pc?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I upgrade to Office 2010 while using Trados 2007?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search