Should I upgrade to Office 2010 while using Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Pauliina Kauppila

Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

Hi there,

I've happily been using Trados 2007 Freelance with Office 2003 for years now. Recently I got myself a new laptop and started to consider upgrading some of my software... in the end, I purchased Office 2010. Unfortunately I did not realise until afterwards that people have been having endless trouble with this combination. What's more, the Office 2010 that I bought and downloaded seems to be the 64-bit version. (Maybe this happened by default because the laptop itself has 64-bit Win 7?)

Meanwhile, I also returned the Trados license from my old laptop and installed Trados 2007 on the new laptop. At this stage I discovered that Trados 2007 and 64-bit Office 2010 are not compatible. Groan. Needless to say, I am kicking myself for not having checked this out beforehand.

So I am now contemplating my next move and wondering what the best thing to do is. I have already uninstalled 2010 because I wanted to see if I could install Office 2003 on the laptop instead; unfortunately this did not work either and I kept getting the "Installation source has been corrupted" error. I don't know whether this is because

a) since my laptop doesn't have a disc drive, I copied the contents of the installation disc to the desktop and tried to run it from there
b) some licensing issue
c) some 32-bit / 64-bit issue?

What do you think? Should I persist and try and get trusty old Office 2003 on my laptop? Or should I try and get a 32-bit version of Office 2010 instead?

Can I just add that absolutely HATE the Office 2010 interface. I am pretty quick and comfortable on the old-style Office menus, so having to spend weeks getting up to speed with the 'ribbon' style controls is also not an appealing prospect.

Any advice/opinions welcome.

PS. Incidentally, is it possible to 'return' an Office 2003 license from one computer and use it again on another one? If it is, I could perhaps return the license from my old laptop and use it on my new laptop.

-- A note: I should add that my main client uses Trados 2007, so I am not too keen to upgrade to Trados Suite at this stage.

[Edited at 2012-06-12 18:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Why not? Jun 13, 2012

Why not consider upgrading to Studio 2011? It works perfectly with Office 2010.

BeaDeer  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Virtualized environment (XP)? Jun 13, 2012

Have you tried using Office 2003 and Trados 2007 in virtualized environment (VirtualBox, for example) on your 64-bit pc?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I upgrade to Office 2010 while using Trados 2007?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search