Thread poster: Linda Gould

Linda Gould
Belgium
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

I've received a project which includes eight different .ttx files.

The agency that sent the project did an analysis with Trados 2007 that gave a particular wordcount. I opened all 8 files in Studio 2011 and I have a wordcount that is nearly 10.000 words MORE than the Trados 2007 count.

Of course the agency wants to pay based on the Trados 2007 count (and suggested I re-install and use TagEditor specifically for THIS project!), but as I now work in Studio, I don't want to be translating an additional 10.000 words for free!!

Does anyone know why this difference exists and how I can get rid of it before I begin on this project (IF I begin!)?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Camilla Larsen
Norway
German to Norwegian
+ ...
How do the files look in Editor view? Jun 13, 2012

Have you looked at the files in Studio? Do they contain a lot of tags?

I once had the same problem with a word document. I analysed it in Studio and got almost twice as many words as the word count in Word. It was a docx file, and it turned out that Studio inserted a lot of tags, sometimes splitting a word in two or three. (Converting the file to doc. gave the correct result).

Linda Gould
Belgium
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If only it were a DOCX file.... Jun 13, 2012

Hi Camilla,

Thanks for your suggestion.
The files are actually originally INX files that have been converted to TTX, so no luck on the DOCX front.

I did a little research and did find some information at: http://tradoshelp.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/word-count-differences-between-trados-studio-and-trados-2007/

In the meantime, the agency has now suggested I translate the INX documents in Studio instead. Ends up those are even MORE word than the TTX.

Just this once, right??

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Worth looking at the analysis? Jun 13, 2012

Hi,

It may be that much of the total wordcount is made up of placeables or autolocalized things like numbers. This being the case you may not have to do too much work to handle them in Studio. What was the breakdown of the analysis?

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different wordcount Trados 2007 and Studio 2011

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search