[solved] - Studio 2011 removing spaces between segments
Thread poster: Patrick Porter

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 05:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2012

Recently, I have been having this recurring problem where for some of my files, Studio is removing spaces between segments. I first noticed it a month or two ago on several .ttx files (created from Word files) and had to open the .sdlxliff in a text editor and do a find-and-replace to add spaces between the tags. Otherwise, when doing the final output to Word files, most sentences had no spaces between them (i.e. the end of a sentence with a period and the the first word of the next with no spaces in between). The original files had proper spacing. This was a minor annoyance, and I chalked it up to some sort of glitch with using .ttx in Studio, which I do not have to do often. So I forgot about it.

But now I am noticing that it is happening for some Word files that I am adding directly to the project. Of course, I can go in and open up each .sdlxliff individually in a text editor and add the spaces myself, but this seems like a crude fix, and the only type of find-and-replace I can figure out is overbroad. It adds a space after every sentence, even if it is the end of a paragraph. This is not a huge problem, since I can then do a find-and-replace in Word to take these out. Nevertheless, it would be better if I could figure out why Studio was doing this in the first place.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

[Edited at 2012-06-13 13:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:53
English
Can I see a file that does this? Jun 13, 2012

Hi Patrick,

Can you share a couple of sentences from a file (you can edit the text of course) that exhibits this behaviour? It would be good to investigate it as I haven't seen this before.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
HTML files and spaces Jun 13, 2012

Trados also added spaces between segments in a set of HTML files I translated recently (this was apparent when the target HTML files were generated). I can think of no setup where this would be desirable. Luckily I had a text editor with professional-level search/replace functionality available.

Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've discovered the source of the problem Jun 13, 2012

Well, it seems that Studio is not causing the problem after all. For the current project I am working on, the client has given me large files with lots of yellow-highlighted text. The yellow text is to be translated and the rest is not.

To make these easier to work on in Studio, I developed a small utility in .NET to take each segment with no yellow text, copy the source to the target, and mark it as translated. I used the .NET 'System.xml' library to process the .sdlxliff as an XML file and to search through the different nodes.

Apparently when .NET is rewriting the modified XML, it is taking out these spaces. So it is a bug with my utility, not with Studio.

I have also used the .NET 'System.xml' library to automate some other things with .sdlxliff files before, and that must be the cause of my issues with the .ttx files in the past.

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses Paul and Joakim.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sounds like a very useful application.. Jun 13, 2012

... maybe you should add it to your others on the OpenExchange..!

Regards

Paul

Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it needs a bit of work Jun 13, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... maybe you should add it to your others on the OpenExchange..!

Regards

Paul

Well, as you can see, it needs a bit of work...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[solved] - Studio 2011 removing spaces between segments

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search