MS Word spellcheck (US Spanish) not working in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Daniela Guanipa

Daniela Guanipa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 13, 2012

I recently installed the "upgrade" to Studio 2011 because one of my main clients is migrating to 2011 and they wanted me to help them "test drive". Since I had already purchased the upgrade in Boston at the ATA Conference I said, "sure".

I was very eager to start using Studio 2011, mainly because of the MS Word spellcheck. And sure enough, that's the one thing NOT working. Luckily, I still have Studio 2009 which I had to trick to create a Hunspell with US Spanish, and I can try tweaking Studio 2011 in the same manner, but c'mon!

I contacted SDL's tech support and I must say they were very quick to reply. However, the proposed solutions were:

1) To install a Hunspell.
2) To check and see whether Word is working properly (it is). And to "fix" it through Control Panel.

When I indicated Word is working beautifully in ALL Spanish forms, they said this is a known bug #45042 and that it will be addressed at some point (they said they don't have a timeframe) but not in the next Service Pack.

So, has anybody had the same problem with EN/SP?

I feel this is utterly wrong and that SDL should make this publicly known, otherwise it has all the features of false advertisement.

Thanks,

Daniela

[Edited at 2012-06-13 18:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Cris_Pa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:13
English to Spanish
The same happens with es-CL Sep 8, 2012

Unfortunately, this happens with EN/es-Cl too. I tried to translate using all the other Spanish variations; Word spellcheck seems to work fine. For now, all I can do is to convert the xliff into a doc file and open it in Word for review.

Daniela Guanipa wrote:

I recently installed the "upgrade" to Studio 2011 because one of my main clients is migrating to 2011 and they wanted me to help them "test drive". Since I had already purchased the upgrade in Boston at the ATA Conference I said, "sure".

I was very eager to start using Studio 2011, mainly because of the MS Word spellcheck. And sure enough, that's the one thing NOT working. Luckily, I still have Studio 2009 which I had to trick to create a Hunspell with US Spanish, and I can try tweaking Studio 2011 in the same manner, but c'mon!

I contacted SDL's tech support and I must say they were very quick to reply. However, the proposed solutions were:

1) To install a Hunspell.
2) To check and see whether Word is working properly (it is). And to "fix" it through Control Panel.

When I indicated Word is working beautifully in ALL Spanish forms, they said this is a known bug #45042 and that it will be addressed at some point (they said they don't have a timeframe) but not in the next Service Pack.

So, has anybody had the same problem with EN/SP?

I feel this is utterly wrong and that SDL should make this publicly known, otherwise it has all the features of false advertisement.

Thanks,

Daniela

[Edited at 2012-06-13 18:41 GMT]

Fernán González  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:13
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here with es_AR Nov 29, 2012

EDIT: Sorry, I was having some issues with the spellcheck but it was not MS Word's.

[Editado a las 2012-11-29 15:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word spellcheck (US Spanish) not working in Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search