How best to leverage repetitions in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Matthew Beeston

Matthew Beeston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
Arabic to English
Jun 13, 2012

Hello translators,

I have a question about the best way to translate a file with a high proportion of repetitions in Trados Studio 2009, using a new TM.

Ideally I'd like to translate my entire document (this is not entirely hypothetical!) in a rough draft without confirming any segments, in order to avoid filling the TM with roughly translated segments (as these confirmed-yet-rough translations seem to get in the way later on). However, using this approach there appears to be no way of knowing if a segment is a repetition of one featured earlier in the text, and therefore there is a risk of repeating effort unnecessarily.

Is anyone aware of a way to get the software to highlight where a segment is a repetition of an earlier segment even if there is no related TM in the memory? Or could any more experienced Trados users recommend the best approach to translating a large, repetitive file of this nature using a new TM?

Also, it would be great if someone could confirm whether the "repetitions" shown in the analysis include only exact repetitions? If so, in theory the text could also contain fuzzy matches - in addition to the repetitions - which will become apparent as the TM grows?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received - thanks in advance for your help!

Matthew Beeston

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Colours Jun 13, 2012

Hi Matthew,

This is the method I use to distinguish my amended segments from the segments already in the TM:

Tools, options, (select “colours” on the left)

These are the settings that I use to show where changes have been made to a translation.
I chose to make my settings bright pink.
The only ones that you need to change are:
“Translation status” “Background colours”, then select “Interactive”, “Machine” and “Unknown”.
“Tag colours” “Autopropagation Match Text” “Fuzzy Match 1” and “Fuzzy Match 2”

Once made, these settings stay in Trados and it's quite useful to know that the segments I have changed will be in a different colour, so I know what I'm checking. This might at least start to address what you want it to do - perhaps someone else can take it further!

best wishes,

Claire

United Kingdom
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds useful, but perhaps only for the second draft? Jun 13, 2012

Hi Clare,

Thanks for posting, that sounds like a useful tip. I'll have to give that a go to fully get my head round the implications, but am I right in thinking this will be of benefit during the second draft? Do you confirm all rough translations during the first draft, then use colours to speed the review process?

If I understand this correctly I don't think it will help in getting Trados to let me know when I'm looking at a repetition even when the TM doesn't yet contain a match for the segment. I have a feeling this isn't possible, at least in Studio 2009... It seems to me it would be a useful feature though! Perhaps the only option is to confirm all segments during the rough draft process and then clean the TM up during the review.

Thanks again,

Matthew

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:36
English
Maybe use a different approach? Jun 13, 2012

Hi Matthew,

If you use a project TM when you create a Project then you can safely confirm all the segments without polluting your main TM. Once you are completely finished and the translation is all correct you just run a batch task to update your Main TM and your real TM will be updated.

If you wanted to use the statuses to progressively work through your file then you can still do this. After confirming you can open the file for review instead and confirm the improved translatrions which will overwrite the previous ones in your Project TM and still allow you to track progress through the file. You could also have a third run through like this using the sign-off status.

On the work you have not yet translated... there is an internal analysis you can perform on the file when you prepare the project, or afterwards by running a batch task analysis report. To activate this option go to Batch processing under All language Pairs in the options and check the box to "Report internal fuzzy match leverage".

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
How does this work for internal fuzzy matches? Jun 14, 2012

Hello Paul,

Thanks very much for your input. I can see how that would be useful and will try using the review / sign-off statuses as you suggest.

However, I think the core of my problem actually relates to 'internal fuzzy matches' which become apparent during the translation process. Here's the scenario:

- During my first draft I translate and confirm segments to ensure repetitions are propagated throughout the document and that I'm not repeating effort unnecessarily.
- An internal fuzzy match (say 90%) then appears; I edit the rough translation provided by the TM to reflect the 10% difference, and confirm this segment in case it is repeated later.
- During the review process I revise the translation in the earlier segment (let's call it segment 1) and confirm it to update the TM.
- I then reach the internal fuzzy match (segment 2). At this point I'd like to be able to see/select the revised TM for segment 1 in the Translation Results window, so that I can easily insert the 90% of the segment which I have already revised and edit the remaining 10%. However, as the TM now contains an exact (100%) match for segment 2, the Translation Results window only displays this match of my rough first draft, without showing me the fact that I've already revised 90% of the segment elsewhere.

Is there a setting which would include both the 100% and 90% segments in the Translation Results window at this point?

My current approach is as follows:
- When editing segment 2 I can see the 100% match in the Translation Results window, containing the rough translation. However, the percentage 'score' given in the Translation Details column to the left of the segment shows a greyed-out 90%. If I then right-click and delete the 100% match from the Translation Results window, this revised 90% match become visible in the window. I can then copy any text I want to keep from the existing translation (reflecting the 10% difference), insert the 90% match from the TM, and paste in the copied text as required.

This seems like a fairly roundabout way of leveraging my earlier revision of segment 1. Is there a more direct way to do this?

Thanks again Paul, your help is much appreciated.

Matthew

Atso Puronen
Local time: 04:36
English to Finnish
Yes you can Jun 14, 2012

Try this:
Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated translation > Search > ”Search for fuzzy matches even if exact match is found”

This will show you the 100% match as well as the fuzzy matches.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
Italian to English
Mathew has a valid point Jun 14, 2012

I have thought of asking the same thing myself several times. I have done what Atso suggests and it works except.... It seems that, once I have accepted, I have a 100% or Context Match in my project TM and I no longer see the fuzzies that were in the Main TM. I would, also like to see them, and, to be perfectly honest, had never even thought of Mathew's work around. I'm all ears if there is another way.
Eileen

United Kingdom
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Atso's tip seems to work for me Jun 15, 2012

Changing the settings for the project as suggested by Atso has solved the internal fuzzy match problem - I'm now able to see both the 100% and fuzzy matches in the Translation Results window. Thanks for the tip!

I'm using a single project TM for this task so haven't encountered the problem described by Eileen - I hope you manage to get to the bottom of that one and will let you know if anything occurs to me.

Thanks for your help everyone - the job is going much more smoothly now.

Ludvig Glavati
Ukraine
Local time: 04:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Macro for extracting internal and external fuzzy matches before translation Aug 12, 2012

I have the tool though for Trados 2007.

It allows to split the whole source text in 2 parts: "No-Match" and "Internal Fuzzy" (including 100%).

If you already have translations in the TM, you can split the text in 3 parts:
"No-Match", "Internal Fuzzy" and "External Fuzzy" (including 100%).

Before running the macro create a new TM in Trados Workbench. It will contain pseudotranslations ("$" sign) for all segments of the text.

See how the macro works :
translatorsfactory.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=67

Here is the macro as .txt :
translatorsfactory.net/files/xFuzzy.zip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How best to leverage repetitions in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search