Bilingual manual
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Italian to English
Jun 14, 2012

I have received a couple of manuals in Word to translate that are quite similar. However, they are to present side-to-side texts and I am to overwrite the right-hand but leave the left-hand text in the original. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in Studio, or am I missing something? It isn't even possible (or rather it would take me forever) to copy the text into another file, translate it and then copy it back because it is not exactly like two columns. there are headings, different levels of texts. And even, translating in word, using the spelling checker becomes a problem.
Anyone know a way to work around this?
Eileen

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
hidden text Jun 14, 2012

You can select the original text (at the left hand row) and hide it using that option at fonts menu. Trados usually does not translate hidden text unless you have configured it differently.

Regards

Clarisa

Alvin Ang

Local time: 12:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Word Jun 15, 2012

If I understand you correctly, you are having problems lining up 2 columns for the translation.

What I can think of is :-

1) Create a table with 2 columns
2) Copy all existing text into the 1st column
3) Enter your translation on the 2nd column.

To make sure the alignments are correct, use carriage return on the text in the 1st column.

Hope that is useful.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but Jun 15, 2012

Thanks Alfie but that is what I would like to do but it is not possible with the file I have. It's not exactly columns. the overall look is like columns but it really is sections with columns which would mean my copying paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence and heading by heading and then doing the same when I revert back. I tried making a Studio file but there is no way because each sentence appears twice, but not necessarily back to back and, with autopropagation even the text I want to leave intact (which I cannot identify by looking at the sdlxliff file (I can't tell which text is on the right and which is on the left) would be automatically autopropagated.
I hadn't thought about it but probably Clarisa's hiding of the text would do the trick. Will have to try.
Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual manual

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search