MultiTerm 2011 - only source and target language fields available - nowhere to put definition.
Thread poster: Filipa Plant dos Santos

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:10
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Jun 15, 2012

Hi everybody!!

I've just upgraded to SDL Studio 2011 (from 2011 Starter version), and MultiTerm came with it, I'm pleased to say!!

I have been following the instructions in the SDL Studio 2011 "Getting Started for Translators", and have managed to create 3 new termbases, by means of entering terms first on an Excel file, and then following the steps in the manual to create a termbase. All good so far, and have created 3 smallish termbases.

My problem: The only fields available for entering terms are the "source" and "target" terms. There are no small arrows to click on which show more fields, such as "definition" or "explanation" etc. I would like to fill in where I got the term, or put a link to the webpage etc, as it would make the termbase more reliable for me. On the sample files that came with the level 1 certification program, the sample termbase had all these lovely fields available. I want them too!

When I go online (clicking the links on the manual, but also searching the SDL Knowledgbase) I can find no reference to the fact that these fields might be missing, or why. Just instructions to click on the small arrow next to the term entry field - but there is none!

Have I set this up wrong somehow? I followed the steps in the manual exactly.

Do I have to meddle deeper in the program to sort this out? As you may have gathered I'm not very experienced in all this, having only started using CAT tools in January of this year, and I can find no mention whatsoever of how to deal with this problem!!!

Any clues or tips would be most gratefully received!!!!

Bye for now

Filipa

Direct link Reply with quote

merinber
Germany
Local time: 04:10
German to English
Missing fields Jun 15, 2012

Hi Filipa,

It appears that you did not define these descriptive fields when you created the termbases. Go to the Catalog view and then to the Definition node to see how you have set up your termbases. You can still add these fields later by right-clicking the Definition node and the selecting Edit.

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try this and post how I get on. Jun 15, 2012

Thanks for this Merinber!!!

I'll have a go this afternoon and post back.

Bye again

Filipa

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now I have an extra field name, but no box to enter information. Jun 15, 2012

Hi again,

Yes, I went to the Catalog view, chose one of the termbases, and clicked definitions, then edit, and this opened the Wizard.

I clicked next until I got to the descriptive field, where I added "Explanation", and then added it to the level of "term". Once this was added, there didn't seem to be anything left to do but next and finish.

Now, when I see the term on that termbase, there is a little arrow, and when clicked, "Explanation" appears below the term, but no entry box for putting one in!

Going through the wizard, I can't see where I am supposed to add this.

I can see that I'm nearly there - but not quite.

Any more ideas merinber? Anyone?

Thank you!!!

Filipa

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No - It's ok! It's fixed!! Jun 15, 2012

Hi again - sorry for last post.

Yes - it's working!!!

The problem was, after doing the fix that you described, I was in the wrong 'view' when looking at the terms. I was in ... flags view? or one of them. I changed the view, and now a box opens which I can use!!

Thank you merinber - you don't know how grateful I am!!!

Bye for now!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Filipa XX

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2011 - only source and target language fields available - nowhere to put definition.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search