https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/227140-fuzzy_matches_in_tageditor_not_really_matches.html

Fuzzy matches in tageditor not really matches
Thread poster: Chris Dravers
Chris Dravers
Chris Dravers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2012

Here I am referring to working in tageditor in the old Trados 2007. When accepting a job with a high percentage of fuzzy matches I then realise that in tageditor these matches are not really matches because they don't have all the tags. It's quicker to retranslate the segment than to copy and paste all the tags, so I am having to work for less money. I've been translating with tageditor for about 7 years and have just tolerated this quirk. I suppose the same problem comes up when working with a ... See more
Here I am referring to working in tageditor in the old Trados 2007. When accepting a job with a high percentage of fuzzy matches I then realise that in tageditor these matches are not really matches because they don't have all the tags. It's quicker to retranslate the segment than to copy and paste all the tags, so I am having to work for less money. I've been translating with tageditor for about 7 years and have just tolerated this quirk. I suppose the same problem comes up when working with a ttx file in studio 2009, i.e. that the codes don't come up in the memory. Is that right? Anyone share this sentiment or is there something I should be doing that I'm not, I wonder!

Chris
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 13:50
Italian to German
+ ...
Accepting jobs with matches... Jun 16, 2012

There are 2 points to consider which are independant, at least for me:

1)
How do matches behave when I'm working?
If I'm not satisfied, I can chose the appropriate CAT tool.
I don't want to speak away some merits of Trados 2007 (I like the auto-concordance), but there are CAT tools like DVX2 or MemoQ that handle tags much more easily while having a more efficient working interface.

2)
Will I accept jobs with heavily formated documents where I mus
... See more
There are 2 points to consider which are independant, at least for me:

1)
How do matches behave when I'm working?
If I'm not satisfied, I can chose the appropriate CAT tool.
I don't want to speak away some merits of Trados 2007 (I like the auto-concordance), but there are CAT tools like DVX2 or MemoQ that handle tags much more easily while having a more efficient working interface.

2)
Will I accept jobs with heavily formated documents where I must ask lower rates for fuzzy matches?
This is a delicate question and every translator must find the right answer for himself.
What's sure is: If I am asked not to consider specific segments, then I will only do them for free when I'm quite sure that I don't have to edit them or change them; any loss of time caused by handling "Fuzzy matches" segments means: you are working on them, so you should get paid.

Greets,
Mike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy matches in tageditor not really matches

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »