Can SDL Studio 2011 be installed on an Android-run machine?
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 17, 2012

Hi all,

I am currently making a purchasing decision. I am considering buying Samsung Galaxy Tab whether the 7.7 or the 10.2 inches. In addition to making phone calls, I also need to have some word-processing software in case I need to do some quick short translations or editing on the go. I am not sure though whether I'd be able to install my SDL Studio 2011 on it as well? If not, would any other tab do? ipad 3 perhaps??

Your insight is much appreciated.

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
no Jun 17, 2012

-

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very elaborate and infomative Jun 17, 2012

Thanks!

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Buy a netbook / ultrabook Jun 17, 2012

Tablets are not suitable for word processing.

Besides of all, Galaxy 10 cannot make any telephone calls.

A.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ultrabook Jun 17, 2012

An ultrabook or an 11" Macbook Air is much more suitable for work.
If you are dead set on using a CAT on an android tablet (not the best idea IMO), your only options are:
- Remote desktop connection to a real computer that runs the CAT
- Web-based CAT such as Wordfast Anywhere

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
No Jun 17, 2012

1. SDL Studio 2011 is developed for Windows operating system. Android is a completely different system and needs applications which are designed for it.
2. Studio is rather resource-intensive. Even if you get a tablet running Windows, the software might not run or the performance would be low.
3. Studio is not generally defined as word-processing software (it is a computer-assisted-translation tool - CAT, or translation environment tool - TEnT). There are word-processing applications for Android, some of them claim to be compatible with Microsoft Office. Your mileage may vary, though.

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jabber, you've answered all my questions Jun 17, 2012

Many thanks, buddyicon_smile.gif

Starkside
Ukraine
Local time: 02:45
Russian to English
+ ...
some options are open Jun 22, 2012

While you cannot run SDL software, you most certainly can use WordFast Anywhere, http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=anywhere

I was searching for the same thing (own Asus Transformer Prime), this solution really saved my day. Your other option - if you're a tech-savvy type - is to install linux environment on your tablet, then more options are open, see here http://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software/72800-looking_for_translation_software_that_will_run_under_linux.html

Hope this helps.

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Asus Slate Jun 23, 2012

You can always look into the Asus Slate tablet, which runs on Windows 7. It's made for working professionals.

Or wait until Microsoft launches their tablets, with Windows 8.

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, guys! Jun 23, 2012

You've opened up some new horizons for me to examine. Coolicon_smile.gif

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:45
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Galaxy Tab 7 inch... Jun 24, 2012

1. Does not have 3G - it makes things cheaper, as there is no payment plan attached to it. You could only work via Wi-Fi. Sending and receiving emails and files would be a problem.

2. The Galaxy mini tab is an excellent e-book reader and entertainment center - relatively light-weight (approx. 300g) and appropriate for traveling.

3. Its word-processing capabilities through its inbuilt or third-party applications are limited and can be used for very light work, perhaps in emergencies. I wouldn't count on that.

If you want to work while traveling, a light-weight laptop would probably be much more appropriate (but a different product altogether).

If you want to enjoy your ride, get the mini-tab.
HTH

[Edited at 2012-06-24 07:02 GMT]

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a bunch :) Jun 24, 2012

Thanks, Sangro

English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft launched "Surface" Jul 1, 2012

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Or wait until Microsoft launches their tablets, with Windows 8.

Hi Marie,

How are you doing dear !

I just learned that Microsoft is launching their new tablet "Surface" http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

which will run on Windows 8. So, SDL people, a question here, can Studio run on Win 8??

TIA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can SDL Studio 2011 be installed on an Android-run machine?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search