Studio 2011 Problem - Incorrectly saved target (mixed with source)
Thread poster: jirka12
Local time: 13:29
Jun 18, 2012

Hi I have translated a 20 pages document, everything seems fine in the Studio, but when I save the target file some parts are left from the source. Generally, it is a mix of source and target segments. No idea why, and no idea what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: It is not randomly mixed - First six pages are correctly saved/exported as the target language, but the remaining 13 are exported as the source language. In Studio everything is translated correctly (and all segments marked as "Translated").

Actually, the segment when the exported document switches from target to source language is truncated. If I go to that segment, delete it and translate it again (for now just copying the source text by Alt+Ins) and export the target again, it helps. Unfortunately only for a page or so, then another segment is truncated and the rest is again exported as the source. I "fix" it the same way, and so on. I did it 10 or so times and I finally got the full document (except the 10 segments) correctly in the target language. I did not notice anything wrong about the offending segments, but all of them contained formatting codes.

I understand that all software is buggy, so I can accept that Trados corrupts a segment time to time during the translation (although 10 in one document is a little bit too much). But the strategy of switching from target to source translation on the first corrupted segment for the WHOLE REST of the document is really silly. Why not just omit that segment and export the word "ERROR" or something similar.

Also no errors nor warnings are reported during the export, which is even sillier.

[Edited at 2012-06-18 12:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:29
Can you share a sample of the file? Jun 19, 2012


If you can share the translated sdlxliff and the original source file I'll be happy to take a look at this and see if I can explain where the problem is?



Direct link Reply with quote

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:29
French to English
+ ...
Tag problem Jun 19, 2012

Spotted this problem with an exported job just yesterday, and it turned out to be a tag problem - not really sure what the problem was, but I deleted all the tags in the problem segment (where the output changed from translated to source), and then reinserted them in the right places, and that seemed to solve the problem. If you retranslated the problem segment and that fixed it up to another segment, there might be a tag issue in that segment as well.

Would be very helpful if SDL are able to provide more information about why this happens. The tags that *appeared* to cause the problem in my case were just normal font formatting tags.

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 13:29
"Fix", codes Jun 19, 2012

Unfortunately the segments are not marked in any way as problematic in Studio. So one needs to go through an endless loop of finding the place where languages switch in the exported document, then find the corresponding segment in Studio, retranslating the segment (without the help of any TM/Google as that seems to mess up the codes), exporting to MS Word, finding the place where languages switch, and so on. It takes forever.

I will probably avoid using TM for segments with MULTIPLE codes in the future (it seems that in all cases the TM/Google suggested translation switch the embedding of codes (e.g. changing [A..A] [B..B] to [A .. [B..B] A], but no code warning or anything is shown)

Yesterday, I contacted SDL Support (paying for PSMA just for this, it seems I might need it in the future, as well ...), will post what they tell me.

[Edited at 2012-06-19 11:05 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Problem - Incorrectly saved target (mixed with source)

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search