SDL Trados 2009 .htm file to .ttx file
Thread poster: Rio Sawabe

Rio Sawabe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:17
English to Japanese
Jun 18, 2012

Hello, I am facing a problem converting .htm file to .ttx file on SDL Trados 2009. (My client sent me .htm file and I need to submit the file as .ttx file) I have done some research to find out the relevant information but failing to do so. However, what I learnt is that if I want a different type of file, I need to convert it before translating it.

Could anybody give me tips on this? Thank you very much in advance.

[Edited at 2012-06-18 17:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Couple or three of ways.. Jun 19, 2012

Hi Rio,

There are three basic ways to do this, each with their own pros and cons:

1. Use Translators Workbench and a 2007 Translation Memory so create a fully segmented TTX
  2. Use TTXiT, a free OpenExchange Application that will create an unsegmented TTX
  3. Use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter after opening the *.htm file in Studio 2009

The first method is the traditional method and this will create a TTX that should match your customers requirements. They should be able to clean up the TTX into their TM and be able to pretranslate the document in the future with maximum leverage, and get the target file as well.

The second using TTXiT will in theory deliver the same as the first (but most likely without 100% ability to pretranslate the document in the future using the TM based on a clean up in Translators Workbench), but we sometimes do see problems with some files where Studio finishes off the segmentation in a different way to Translators Workbench, so whilst this usually provides an error free solution you should be aware of where any potential problem comes from.

For Studio 2009 you will find this App here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1

The third allows you to translate the file in Studio and then convert this to a TTX afterwards. This is adequate for many customers, but not all. What this does is create a TTX from the SDLXLIFF (Studio bilingual) and not from your original *.htm. So Clean Up in a TM will be possible on the same basis as the second method, but you will have to deliver the target *.htm as well because your customer will not be able to recreate the *.htm from the TTX using this method.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

I hope that's clear and not too confusing?

Regards

Paul

Rio Sawabe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
RE Jun 19, 2012

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your clear reply, it is very helpful. I will try one of these three solutions. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2009 .htm file to .ttx file

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search