MIF variables processed in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Pattranslations

Pattranslations  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:09
Jun 19, 2012

Hello,

I have a variable issue in translating "MIF 10" files within Studio 2011. The issue seems to involve FrameMaker variables which are automatically converted into Studio variables (within purple tags like those displaying for cross references). For instance, Step 6 appears as a variable created automatically by Studio, though I need to translate it into French.

Therefore, my goal is to be able to translate some of these variables in Studio.
- I tried to translate the variable content in the target segments instead of pasting the variables, but when generating the target file for delivery, the procedure fails (I get an error message specifying that some tags are missing).
- I also tried this: after the project is created,
1. go to Project > Project Settings.
2. Select File Types, then MIF Adobe FrameMaker 8-10 Files, and then Common (think so, my interface is in French
though).
3. Select the Process variables checkbox and choose all variables from the dropdown menu.

Unfortunately, with this procedure, I see no changes in the files as far as variable processing. Maybe I missed something there?

Would you have any clue on how to proceed to get rid of these nasty tags? Even a workaround would do.

Thanks a lot for your help and have a nice day,

Patricia LELEU


 

Pattranslations  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:09
TOPIC STARTER
Workarount found Jun 20, 2012

Hello everybody,

Eventually, I found a workaround to solve this variable translation issue. The variables created by Studio were actually variables or cross references in FrameMaker that are converted into variables by Studio.

Here is my workaround, for those of you it may help in the future:

1. Display the variables list and the cross references list in FrameMaker.

2. Note the variables and cross references which you will have to search for translation after the Studio translation process.

3. Once the translation is done in Studio, open the target mif files in FrameMaker and make a search and replace on these elements.

Done! So no real miracle, indeed, but at least it works ☺

Have a nice day,
Patricia LELEU


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MIF variables processed in Studio 2011

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search