Word search in large Studio project with many files
Thread poster: Jenny Cowd

Jenny Cowd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2012

I am working on a project in Trados Studio 2011 with over 100 files. I need to change a term that I have mistranslated but cannot remember which file it is in. Is there a way of searching for the word in the project as a whole without having to reopen every single file individually?
Thank you!!!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to French
+ ...
Open Exchange Jun 19, 2012

Hi Jenni,

Use Open Exchange Apps -> SDL Batch Find and Replace.

HTH,

Bernard

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Programming environments Jun 19, 2012

Please note that SDL Batch Find/Replace has some interesting... limitations.

For real-world search/replace you may need to look outside Trados. There are a lot of text-based programming environments around with multi-file project capability and excellent global search/replace.

Since .sdlxliff files are XML files, you can add them to a project in such an application and get great search/replace. (If the text you're replacing contains tags or formatting changes things become more difficult.)

I've used Apple's Xcode programming environment for solving similar problems on the Mac.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
I would use Notepad++… Jun 19, 2012

... for the purpose (free download). It can find and replace in folders of sdlxcliff files too. I suggest locating the word in Notepad++, but replacing it in Studio, to make sure you leave the software intact.

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Search & Replace Studio Jun 20, 2012

My choice for such tasks:

http://www.funduc.com/replace_studio_pro.htm

Regards,

Gyula

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 20, 2012

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The problem is they all seem a bit complicated for what I need to do. The word is only is one file, so I can replace it manually, but was just looking for a quick way of finding which file it is in....

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
File system search Jun 20, 2012

Did you try using the standard file content search function in your operating system?

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file system search not working Jun 20, 2012

Yes Joakim, I've just tried but it's not picking up the Studio files at all... not sure why. How annoying!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use the Batch Search & replace Jun 20, 2012

Hi Jenny,

The easiest way for your usecase is to use the Batch Search and Replace App. It is installed already as you have Studio 2011, so you can find it in the start memu under here:

Start - All programs - SDL - SDL Trados Studio 2011 - Open Exchange Apps

To use it you simply drag your *.sdlproj file into the Files tab when you open the application. This will automatically add all the files ikn your Studio project. Thyen click on the Find tab (there are only three tabs across the top so this is not complicated) and then type in your search term and press find.

You can either replace it using this application too, or just see which file it;s ion and change in Studio... that bit is up to you.

I hope this is clear... certainly when you try it you'll find it's really simple.

Regards

paul

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dragging project file Jun 20, 2012

Hi Paul,
Thanks for that. The only bit that is unclear is how to drag the project file into this program.....

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
getting the project file in there Jun 20, 2012

Hi Jenny,

ok - first of all you need to determine where your project file is. So open Studio, click on the projects View on the left so you see the list of Projects you are woring with. Then right-click on the project you need and select "Open Project Folder".

This will open up windows explorer and the project file is the one called "your project name".sdlproj There will only be one for each project.

You can then add this two ways.

1. Click on the file in windows explorer with the left mouse button; hold the mouse button down; pull (drag) the file onto the icon for the batch Search and replace Application that will be showing on the bottom of your screen once you start the application. Once the application shows you can then let go of the button (drop) and the file will be added to the application and will immediately expand to show all your sdlxliff files in the project.

2. use the "Load files from project" button in the application to selct the same "your project name".sdlproj file.

Does this explain a little better? If not I can knock up a quick demo in a video and show you?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PROBLEM SOLVED Jun 20, 2012

Thank you Paul, problem solved.
Thank you to everyone else too for the contributions.

Anthony Rudd

Find next / replace Feb 27, 2014

Unfortunately, in many cases the list of hits contains entries that should not be replaced. Is there some way to bypass selected entries (find next)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word search in large Studio project with many files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search