Studio 2011 activation - please help
Thread poster: Peter McMullen
Peter McMullen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2012

I had Studio 2009 with a single user license with 1 extra activation (that had not been used). I then upgraded to Studio 2011 without returning the license for 2009. 2011 worked and so did 2009.

The problems began when I bought a new computer and installed 2011 on it. When I tried to activate the license for 2011 on the new computer I got a LicenseNumberAlreadyUsed error. I then returned the 2011 license on the old computer to use it for 2011 on the new computer, thinking this would solve the problem, but I still got the same error message and now 2011 won’t activate on either computer. I've even tried reinstalling 2011 on the new computer, but still get the same error message. 2009 still works on the old computer.

I tried to return the license for 2009 on the old computer because I thought it might be using up one of the activations, but it wouldn’t let me return it, saying it had “exceeded the permitted number of activations”.

“My Licenses” on the SDL website shows 1 activation in use and 1 extra activation still available.

I submitted a support request to SDL. They replied quickly saying simply “When you processed this uprgrade the 2009 license is automatically returned and removed from the account." I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me with this. I’ve watched the support videos and more or less understand the licensing system, but I fear I’ve messed up my activations and I just don’t know what to do next.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:04
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Returning the license Jun 21, 2012

Dear Peter,

Since you returned your license, it must show up in your account as being available. If this is not the case, then something is wrong and you must send again a support request to SDL through your account.

Regards,

Maria

Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem here. Jun 21, 2012

I had the same problem here some months ago.

I kept pestering SDL for help. They informed me that somehow buying/upgrading to version 2011 forfeited my license for the 2009 program. Apparently that was in the conditions of the sale, somewhere.

However, i got full help, after sending countless emails, in getting my licenses for 2011 back. I now work with 2007 and 2011, I only got a temporary license for 2009, and it has again expired.

My question is, is that true (and allowed?), because I bought the full 2009 version and then upgraded (also paying money) to 2011. So in my view, I still own both licenses.

Anyway, what I can recommend is continue writing emails or calling or chatting. Eventually I got help so I could continue working.

I also gather there is someone from SDL active on this forum.

Good luck!

Mirjam

Peter McMullen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL solved the problem Jun 22, 2012

Thank you for your replies Maria and Mirjam. I got back on to SDL and they responded quickly and reset my activations. I now have 2009 working on the old computer and 2011 working on the new computer and as long as everything works I'm going to leave it like that!

Kind regards,

Peter

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
English
Upgrade vs New License Jun 22, 2012

Mirjam Spekking wrote:

My question is, is that true (and allowed?), because I bought the full 2009 version and then upgraded (also paying money) to 2011. So in my view, I still own both licenses.

Hi Mirjam,

I think the difference is that an upgrade is providing you with the ability to replace your old version with a new version. If you wanted to own both licenses indefinately then you would need to pay the full price for both.

You took advantage of a low price to gain additional features rather than gain a complete set in addition to the ones you already have.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 activation - please help

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search