Review of translation from 2 files
Thread poster: kenhoo

kenhoo
France
Local time: 10:13
Jun 22, 2012

Hello,

I am receiving files (doc, xls, ppt, etc.) from translators not using trados, ie I have the source file and the corresponding target file and no TM for this translation (anyway there would be many mistakes in it...).
Knowing that there are always many mistakes I'd like to review/correct their translations using trados before finalize the translation and create TM from it.

How can I do this effectively ?

Thanks.

PS: I am using SDL Trados Studio 2011 Professional

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:13
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Translation alignment Jun 22, 2012

Translation alignment:

This is the process I always use. But T2011/T2009 have no alignment package, and I always rely on Trados 2007, WordFast, SDLX etc.
You can read more about translation alignment in Proz forum or Google Search.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

kenhoo
France
TOPIC STARTER
TM is mandatory ? Jun 22, 2012

Hello,

Of course I must use winalign to create the 2 doc but I'd like to avoid creating and then deleting a temporary TM. Is there no way to import(/convert) the alignement directly in trados studio ?
thx.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workflow Jun 23, 2012

The "right" way to do it is to do it differently from the start.
Import the files to Studio, pretranslate if you can, export into a two-column table using sdlxliff converter for MS Office and have your translators work in that file. Then you can just import the table back into trados.
As soon as you start aligning translations with WinAlign, you will find out that the extra steps required for importing a TMX and pretranslating the file are the least of your worries... The alignment itself will take ages.

kenhoo
France
TOPIC STARTER
nice idea ! Jun 25, 2012

Indeed that's seems a better approach. I will look in this. I did not know this tool before.
Thanks.

kenhoo
France
TOPIC STARTER
import in trados Jul 2, 2012

Hello,

Hello, I manage to create a word table that the translator have to fill with their translation with "SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office". But then how do I import this filled file in Trados ??

I tried the second tab of the toll but it is either inefficient or I don't know how to use it (it is probably the 2nd one lol) What am I doing wrong ?

A little help please ?

Thanks.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
2nd tab Jul 2, 2012

You're looking in the right place.
On the second tab, choose Add..., pick the sdlxliff, then use the browse button to pick the translated .docx, then click import and you're done. Open the updated sdlxliff in Studio.

kenhoo
France
TOPIC STARTER
bug ? Jul 2, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

You're looking in the right place.
On the second tab, choose Add..., pick the sdlxliff, then use the browse button to pick the translated .docx, then click import and you're done. Open the updated sdlxliff in Studio.

That's exactly what I am doing... without success. The modification I made in word are not imported in the sdlxliff file. Bug ? I checked in the file itself with notepad and there is no change in it... the only visible change is the modification date of the file !

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
The old and the new sdlxliff files Jul 2, 2012

should be in the same folder.

kenhoo
France
TOPIC STARTER
in the same folder Jul 2, 2012

it is...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Review of translation from 2 files

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search