Character conversion from Workbench to TagEditor
Thread poster: Mar FdezNieto
Jun 23, 2012

I have being using Trados 2006 (version 7.5.0.759) for years, but a couple of days ago I created a new TM from another one which I had being using for long. I do not know what, but I touched something, and now TagEditor uses extrange character when taking some text from the TM. For example, the translation for "Key Features" appears in the TagEditor as "Caracter﨎ticas principales" instead of "Características principales". I have tried using different TMs and the problem does not occurs. Does anybody know how can this issue be sorted out? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

mareug  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:26
Member (2006)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hello Mar, Jun 24, 2012

The problem isn't new. Maybe this link can help:

http://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/21326-desesperada_con_trados:_me_cambia_el_tipo_de_letra.html

Good luck!

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:26
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Most likely unicode issue Jun 24, 2012

The replacement of accented or other language-specific characters with weird characters is usually due to a mismatch of encoding between the two TMs. With version 7, Trados introduced the ability to handle unicode languages. This means that you have to make sure that export and import settings are identical.

Re-export the old TM as version 2.x-6.x and import the resulting txt file with the same setting into a new TM. This should resolve the problem.

Mar FdezNieto
TOPIC STARTER
It did not work Jun 25, 2012

I am afraid Heike, but I followed your suggested steps, but the problem persists. I also tried changing the font setup, but the issue is still there. Thanks anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Character conversion from Workbench to TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search