Studio 2011: saving ITD files *as ITD*?
Thread poster: Wordsurger

Wordsurger
Local time: 02:40
Jun 23, 2012

Hey guys,

I've been searching the help functions, websites and forums and simply can't find an answer to this. I'm probably missing something obvious !

I recently purchased SDL Studio 2011. One of my clients sends ITD files for translation.
Opening and editing these files in Studio 2011 goes fluently, but I can't figure out how to SAVE as itd files!

When I hit the save function, Studio 2011 tries to save as SDL XLIFF and the dropdown doesn't offer ITD. I don't see a 'save as' or 'export' functionality...

Any help please?
Thanks!

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:40
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Batch task, finalize Jun 23, 2012

What you do is go to File View, right click on the file or go to the Project tab, Batch Tasks, Finalize.

The itd file will then be sitting in the EN folder in the project file - or it will definitely be saved in the destination folder as an itd file that you can deliver to the customer. I've done it several times.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can also... Jun 23, 2012

... just open the file in the Studio Editor and use File - Save Target As. This will save the ITD as well. Might be more straightforward if you want to do file at a time as you complete them.

Regards

Paul

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:40
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Save as original format Jun 24, 2012

I understand you see "Save as original format" in your Trados 2011.
The program will save the file as ITD since you opened and woked based on original ITD format.
This function also appears in Trados 2009.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Wordsurger
TOPIC STARTER
not an existing option Jun 24, 2012

Anne Lee wrote:

What you do is go to File View, right click on the file or go to the Project tab, Batch Tasks, Finalize.

The itd file will then be sitting in the EN folder in the project file - or it will definitely be saved in the destination folder as an itd file that you can deliver to the customer. I've done it several times.

Thanks Anne. there is no Batch Tasks > Finalize, but I do see a Batch Tasks > Export (only if saved first as sdlxliff). When I use this option, I get the regular Save as dialog, with .sdlxliff as the only format.

[Edited at 2012-06-24 10:19 GMT]

Wordsurger
TOPIC STARTER
Solved. Thanks Jun 24, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... just open the file in the Studio Editor and use File - Save Target As. This will save the ITD as well. Might be more straightforward if you want to do file at a time as you complete them.

Regards

Paul

Ah, that does the trick. I assumed 'Save Target As would do just that: save the target, but indeed it saves as the bilingual ITD file. Many thanks.

Sophie Devidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:40
English to Georgian
+ ...
Very helpful!!! Aug 30, 2012

Anne Lee wrote:

Batch task/Finalize works great, it saves in the same folder,
I have just googled save as itd and found this answer - you saved me!

Sébastien Renard  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
Same kind of issue Sep 20, 2013

Hi there,

I also try to save an ITD document.
When I choose "save target as" -> "original format", a window pops up with "name of the file", "type" etc. and the only type available is Microsoft Word 2000-2003 (.doc).
I proceed and see the itd file being created in the right folder plus a "font file".
When SDL has finished, both files (itd+font) are automatically merged/converted into one Word document.
Is there a way to avoid this in order to have only the ITD?
Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks for your help!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's a feature. Sep 20, 2013

Sébastien Renard wrote:

Hi there,

I also try to save an ITD document.
When I choose "save target as" -> "original format", a window pops up with "name of the file", "type" etc. and the only type available is Microsoft Word 2000-2003 (.doc).
I proceed and see the itd file being created in the right folder plus a "font file".
When SDL has finished, both files (itd+font) are automatically merged/converted into one Word document.
Is there a way to avoid this in order to have only the ITD?
Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks for your help!

If you choose "Original File" when you save the target then this is exactly what you will get. The "Original File" is the file that was used to create the ITD in the first place. If you only want the ITD then select "SDL Edit Document".

Regards

Paul

Sébastien Renard  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
OK Sep 20, 2013

Thank you for your answer.

Sébastien

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: saving ITD files *as ITD*?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search