Thread poster: KoreanXpress

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 16:48
Korean to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2012

Hello,

I have some previously- translated text that I would like to import into a SDL Trados Studio 2011 Translation Memory (TM). The text is in the form of a word document, containing a 2-column table- source text in the first column, target text in the second.
NOTE- this is just a word document (.docx), created independently of any SDL trados Studio projects (i.e. it is NOT a trados bilingual word document etc).

I am looking for an efficient way to do this.

If I use studio 2011 to open the document directly, then all entries are in the source column and the target column is empty.

The only way I have found so far is to create two documents, source.docx and target.docx, where source.docx contains the left hand column of the table, and target.docx contains the right-hand column of the table. I then used Winalign to 'align' the files. This was remarkably time consuming however, because Winalign did not recognize the table cells, and I had to go through re-aligning many of the entries.

It really seems a waste of time to have to realign everything from within Winalign, as the source and target TU's were already perfectly aligned in the original table.

Please could someone help me out here.
Should I try pasting the text to excel? /Saving in a different file format before importing to Trados?/ Altering the segmentation settings in Winalign? (it does seem that Winalign does not recognize table cells, only paragraph marks)

Thanks very much.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Trados 2007 Jun 24, 2012

If you have Trados 2007, it is quite easy [I usually do on this].
1. Open SDLX > SD Maintain
2. in MS word, Convert table > Text [split with a tab etc.] > Save as Text [Unicode encoding]
3. In SD Maintain > New TM> Import > Import from tab delimited file (TM in No. 2)
4. You get a SDL TM
5. You can export TM in No. 4 to TMX format etc. or Upgrade TM in Trados 2011 to use>
Voila. You get the TM out of MS Word Table.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

KoreanXpress
South Korea
Local time: 16:48
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! (& one more little discovery) Jun 25, 2012

Thank you, this was incredibly helpful and has saved me lots of time.

It works great!icon_biggrin.gif

To anyone else reading this thread, I did discover one thing that makes the output perfect: before saving the MS Word table as text, use the 'Replace' function in MS Word to remove all the paragraph marks within the table. (This can be done by clicking on 'Replace' (in the home/editing tab of MS Word 2010) , typing in ^p, and then clicking 'enter). Before I did this a few segments were not aligned correctly in the delimited file.

Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:18
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
thank you Nov 14, 2012

Thank you very much for this.

It saved me a great deal.

All the best

Hakan

Skallagrimson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:18
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
import from tab delimited file in Trados Studio 2011 Nov 21, 2012

May I ask how can I import from tab delimited file in Trados Studio 2011?

Cheers, Egils

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

If you have Trados 2007, it is quite easy [I usually do on this].
1. Open SDLX > SD Maintain
2. in MS word, Convert table > Text [split with a tab etc.] > Save as Text [Unicode encoding]
3. In SD Maintain > New TM> Import > Import from tab delimited file (TM in No. 2)
4. You get a SDL TM
5. You can export TM in No. 4 to TMX format etc. or Upgrade TM in Trados 2011 to use>
Voila. You get the TM out of MS Word Table.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:18
Greek to English
Appreciate the help Feb 11, 2014

You guys are brilliant! Took a while to get there, but managed to create a brilliant memory from two PDFs online, via Word table. Instructions were clear as a bell.

Thanks!

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Translation Memory Without Alignment Feb 11, 2014

If you have a question like this you can always try the method that I have described in the post with the name "Translation Memory Without Alignment" in this forum section.

You can easily work thru any files, but you will have to copy and past the translation form the actual files.

You need a couple of clicks to do this.

If you expect that you will have to copy a lot of stuff from the previously translated files, maybe it makes more sense to prepare the aligned text.

However, if you have 50 files, each containing 50 pages, you roughly have 2500 pages. I don't know how much time you will need to align this amount of pages, but you can asap do this via the Translation Memory Without Alignment method.

If you have the file that has 50 pages in it, then you will have to copy and paste 50 pages of the materials versus aligning 2500 pages...

Disclaimer:

To be frank, I didn't get the explations about Trados 7 (but who actually works in it???). If you have a word with two colums, just do the method I write about and you'll get the TM in a couple of clicks...

Anahit Simonyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 12:18
Member (2010)
English to Armenian
+ ...
Translation Memory Without Alignment Sep 26, 2014

Dear Andrew, I couldn't find your method of creating from word table without alighment and couldn't find your post "Translation Memory Without Alignment". Could you please include a link to it? Thanks.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
English
What you could also do... Sep 26, 2014

... is copy the Word table into Excel and then drop it into the Glossary Converter. If you use the option to convert to TMX as shown below it's simple:

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import TM content from a table in MS Word

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search