https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/227681-studio_to_plus_or_not_to_plus.html

Studio- to plus or not to plus?
Thread poster: Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2012

I'm curious. I'm currently still working with Trados Freelance 2007 and want to upgrade to Studio. Apparently I can upgrade to Studio 2011 for 315 euros or Studio 2011 Plus for 195 euros. It seems very odd that I'm getting the "Plus" version so much cheaper. What am I missing here?! Is the Plus version really the better one?

Maria Popova
Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:14
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
Freelance Plus Jun 25, 2012

Hi,

Just be sure that you go for the Freelance Plus version!)

Regards

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
Finnish to French
Upgrade options Jun 25, 2012

Suzanne Smart wrote:

I'm curious. I'm currently still working with Trados Freelance 2007 and want to upgrade to Studio. Apparently I can upgrade to Studio 2011 for 315 euros or Studio 2011 Plus for 195 euros. It seems very odd that I'm getting the "Plus" version so much cheaper. What am I missing here?! Is the Plus version really the better one?

Strangely enough, I don't see these options on their upgrade page:

I'm not sure what's the difference between "2007 Suite Freelance" and "2007 Freelance", and why it is more expensive to upgrade from the former.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:14
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
difference between freelance and freelance plus Jun 25, 2012

when I bought Studio 2009 freelance plus, it was able to be installed on more than one computer.

with Studio 2009 freelance [not plus] it was not the case.

As you can see the difference was in the licence keys, not in the product

personnally, I bought directly from SDL end of 2010 (big year end discount).

You need to check it is the same for Studio 2011 freelance.

I hope it helps,

Marie

[Edited at 2012-06-25 1
... See more
when I bought Studio 2009 freelance plus, it was able to be installed on more than one computer.

with Studio 2009 freelance [not plus] it was not the case.

As you can see the difference was in the licence keys, not in the product

personnally, I bought directly from SDL end of 2010 (big year end discount).

You need to check it is the same for Studio 2011 freelance.

I hope it helps,

Marie

[Edited at 2012-06-25 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Suzanne Smart (X)
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
any other differences? Jun 25, 2012

Thanks Marie, that's what I thought the difference between them was. I'm still surprised at the big price gap though, are there any other differences?
As I understand it, Plus is cheaper because it's on offer at the moment. I just find it strange that the "normal" version is not similarly discounted. I don't want to get Plus and then find that it was cheaper for good reason!!

Suzanne Smart (X)
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique - you have to enter the info. Jun 25, 2012

Dominique, the discount is displayed when you select the purchase option and click "upgrade" then select the version you currently own. So, for example, I clicked "upgrade" and put in that I own Trados Freelance 2007 and the prices I quoted are the ones that came up.

Marie-Celine Grech
Marie-Celine Grech  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Chat to SDL support Jun 29, 2012

Just as a sidenote, it might be worthwhile talking to a member on SDL chat support and they might quote you a better upgrade price.

I have just upgraded from Suite 2007 to Freelance 2011. I saw that they had some offers online but when I clicked on the items in the basket, the offers were not showing up correctly. I opened up a chat with SDL support and he told me that he could give me a better quote than what was being offered - honestly all legit!! And I got the upgrade for £132
... See more
Just as a sidenote, it might be worthwhile talking to a member on SDL chat support and they might quote you a better upgrade price.

I have just upgraded from Suite 2007 to Freelance 2011. I saw that they had some offers online but when I clicked on the items in the basket, the offers were not showing up correctly. I opened up a chat with SDL support and he told me that he could give me a better quote than what was being offered - honestly all legit!! And I got the upgrade for £132 (excl. VAT).

And they will be able to guide you to what you can upgrade to, from your current license.

Hope this helps,

Celine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio- to plus or not to plus?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »