Excluding text from translation without changing its format (Trados 2007)
Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:47
Member (2003)
English to French
Jun 25, 2012

Hello there,

This is for Trados 2007 (client's requirement). My client sends me documents where only one part must be translated. I could of course create a file with only the translatable part, translate it and put it back in the original file at the end, but these documents are many and often small, so it is not practical. Also putting the cursor at the start and translating away doesn't work because the documents are formatted as tables, and the right column must be translated (while Trados will send you to the first cell of the next table line after translating a cell).

To handle this situation, I thought of applying the tw4winExternal style to the rest of the document, and then using Trados. However this puts everything in Courier font, which is not desirable for the client, who wants to see their file as they sent it. Of course one can modify this style, or create another one and include it in the list of non translatable styles in the TM, but is it possible to have a style that is "transparent", i.e. that doesn't affect the format (mainly font and weight, actually) of the text it is applied to?

Or should this be solved in another way?

Your input would be appreciated. (Using Word 2007.)

[Edited at 2012-06-25 10:23 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Hide Jun 25, 2012

You can hide the text that is not to be translated, use TagEditor and then unhide the text in the target file.

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding works with Tageditor, not with Word workflow -- still interested in "transparent" style Jun 25, 2012

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion. I made the text in other columns "hidden" (I'm in Word 2007), and indeed Tageditor avoids translation of this text. When the document is cleaned the text is still there and can be "un-hidden". However that doesn't work in the Word worfklow, where Trados still sends me to the next (though hidden) cell.

I would still be interested about the possibility of creating a "transparent" style, that I would not need to remove after translation, and which would work in the Word workflow as well.

[Edited at 2012-06-25 10:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-06-25 10:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excluding text from translation without changing its format (Trados 2007)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search