Translate SDLX-files with Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:34
English to German
Jun 25, 2012

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to translate SDLX-files with Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus? - And afterwards return them again in the SDLX-format? Is this possible without too much hassle?

Any response, hint or recommendation is very much appreciated!

Annett (the IT laywoman)

Direct link Reply with quote

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 11:34
English to Chinese
Yes Jun 26, 2012

I have been using Studio 2011 to process Itd files and have been quite happy with it, except that sometimes Studio slows down after a few hours of work. You would lose the color codes indicating the match levels in sdlx, but you get the same (even more Precise) match percentage info in Studio. One thing I like in particular win working with itd files in Studio is the ability to filter certain words/phrases when you want to batch change them.
When you are done with the file, use Save target as and it gives you the option to save in itd format for delivery.
One last thing to note: after I open an itd file in Studio, I usually save the file in Sdlxliff format and continue working with that sdlxliff file until the end. It seems the xliff format runs faster in Studio than the itd format. If you are unsure, just try to save back in itd from time to time to be sure Studio didn't mess up the file in any way:)

Disclaimer:

1. I use Studio 2011. While I believe Studio 2009 should work in a similar fashion, I have not tested to vaildate my belief.
2. I used my Android phone to type up this post, so any typos or errors were unintentional and should be forgiven.

Chun-yi

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:34
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 26, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

I have been using Studio 2011 to process Itd files and have been quite happy with it, except that sometimes Studio slows down after a few hours of work. You would lose the color codes indicating the match levels in sdlx, but you get the same (even more Precise) match percentage info in Studio. One thing I like in particular win working with itd files in Studio is the ability to filter certain words/phrases when you want to batch change them.
When you are done with the file, use Save target as and it gives you the option to save in itd format for delivery.
One last thing to note: after I open an itd file in Studio, I usually save the file in Sdlxliff format and continue working with that sdlxliff file until the end. It seems the xliff format runs faster in Studio than the itd format. If you are unsure, just try to save back in itd from time to time to be sure Studio didn't mess up the file in any way:)

Disclaimer:

1. I use Studio 2011. While I believe Studio 2009 should work in a similar fashion, I have not tested to vaildate my belief.
2. I used my Android phone to type up this post, so any typos or errors were unintentional and should be forgiven.

Chun-yi

Thank you, Chun-yi, for your prompt reply. I will try that when I receive the files. However, I thought Studio 2009 automatically converts a file to be translated in SDLXLIFF-format. Perhaps this is a bit different with Studio 2011. For the time being, I am relieved and will wait and see.

Have a nice day,

Annett

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 11:34
English to Chinese
You are right Jun 26, 2012

Hi Annett,

When you use the Open document route to open an itd file in Studio, I think Studio does convert the file into sdlxliff format in the background (someone verifies this statement please:), but it will not save the file in sdlxliff for you unless you choose to. The default save/save as format is sdlxliff, which I used to ignore and saved back in itd format when I first used Studio to work on itd files. I later realized saving the file in sdlxliff format is more efficient in the Studio environment, so I changed my way of working by waiting until the end to save the file in itd format.

Chun-yi

Annett Hieber wrote:

However, I thought Studio 2009 automatically converts a file to be translated in SDLXLIFF-format. Perhaps this is a bit different with Studio 2011. For the time being, I am relieved and will wait and see.

Have a nice day,

Annett

Elodie Bonnafous  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:34
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
SDLX in Trados Studio 2009 Oct 4, 2012

Hello Annett and Chun-Yi,

I am facing the same issue as Annett: a client requires SDLX.

I have Trados Studio 2009, and I thought it included SDLX.

Did you Chun-Yi mean that SDLXLIFF files ARE SDLX?

Annett, did you succeed translating your files in Studio 2009 and simply saving them as SDLXLIFF?

Help...

And thanks in advance for any clue...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate SDLX-files with Trados Studio 2009?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search