Studio 2011 Installation - Unable to use -
Thread poster: Ana Vozone

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 26, 2012

I installed Studio 2011 + 2007 and am finding the whole process very distressing. Basically, I have not been able to even start using it!

I thought importing my collection of (precious) translation memories would be simple and get me going quickly. But, unfortunately, I have not been able to even import a simple TM and start translating simple documents before being asked to create new projects with settings I simply do not need!

My productivity has been nil in the last two days, my frustration is huge, and unfortunately there is no going back to my old computer that died of old age, but where my old Trados worked beuatifully...

Can anyone please give me a simple set of steps I can follow to get my work going again?

Simple rules on how to open a TM, import the .txt TM's from the 'past' and simply work? A link, a simple tutorial that won't teach me everything, but only the basic steps I need to know?

Many thanks!
Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:31
English to French
+ ...
Simple Steps Jun 26, 2012

Hi Ana,

First step would be to click on the Translation Memory tab in 2011, create a TM with your language settings - this creates an empty TM - once created - select it under Files -> Import let's you import ttx, itd, etc.

Second step - create your project and select TM and TB.

HTH,

Bernard

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
English
Or even simpler.. Jun 26, 2012

Ana Vozone wrote:

Simple rules on how to open a TM, import the .txt TM's from the 'past' and simply work? A link, a simple tutorial that won't teach me everything, but only the basic steps I need to know?

Hi Ana,

Bernard is correct. But you could also do this:

Click on the home page view
Click on Open Document
Select your file for translation
Select your languages
Pick your old TXT TM with the Add button like this:

Choose the fast upgrade and this will upgrade tour old TM as you go
Once this is complete your file will open up in the editor and you are ready to go.

This is just one way to work... and it's not necessarily the best way either. It all depends on your preferences. Btu this will get you started and as you get more familiar perhaps you can try other ways.

Regards

Paul

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:31
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple is beautiful! Jun 27, 2012

Dear Paul and Bernard, many thanks for your precious help. You really "walked me out of the woods" with your simple steps!
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Installation - Unable to use -

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search