Tag text incorrectly carried over to target segment
Thread poster: Jonathan Roberts

Jonathan Roberts  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2012

I am translating a file that has a lot of tag information at the start of each segment. Many of the segments start with a section or point number, such as 11.3.4.2., so there are formatting tags before and after this information as well as at the end of the segment. Unfortunately, these tags are appearing as 11.3.4.2 , which is not the same as in the source text. If I copy and paste the first part or manually insert the tags there is no problem, but it just takes a lot longer to do. Is there a way to correct this issue? Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Edit: I should mention that I am using MyMemory as an automated translation. I have had a similar issue in the past, but most of the time there is no problem with tags.

[Edited at 2012-06-27 04:40 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not really a tag Jun 27, 2012

Hi,

What you are describing is translatable text inbetween tags. So the application is attempting to autolocalize the IP addresses as numbers.

Your best bet is to either copy and paste as you describes, or turn off number recognition, or do a search and replace in the target column after translating to get rid of the last dot.

One other option, depending on the source filetype of course, is to make the entire IP address into a tag and then it won't be subject to localization. But you can only do this if the file is xml.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-06-27 05:50 GMT]

Jonathan Roberts  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They weren't IP addresses unfortunately... Jun 30, 2012

...they were line numbers for a rush 14,000 word post edition. But I think I understand why the software wouldn't carry over the numbers now. In the end I was able to find a different memory that recognized about half of the segments, then for the others I just translated the segments, copied the text, copied the source to target and pasted in the translated text. It could have been worse, but I was still up pretty late! Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag text incorrectly carried over to target segment

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search