What's the file size limit for WinAlign?
Thread poster: MikeTrans

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 22:28
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 28, 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to get 2 very big plain text files aligned with WinAlign to see if I can correct some mistakes.
My first try has returned an error message "unexpected error,..."
So, obviously I have to split the files first.

How many segments can be imported in a single project of WinAlign?
I have to know this to split to an appropriate number of files.

Thanks,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem settled... Jun 28, 2012

I will use MemoQ on this one
Mike

[ADDED]

Even MemoQ lies on the ground for this one...
Will try the LF Aligner from Farkas (Hi Farkas, please dont't get a laughing crisisicon_smile.gif )

With 'normal' aligners that come with CAT tools, I think I'll still be busy in my second life..

Ciao,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-06-28 15:54 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LF Aligner Jun 29, 2012

LF Aligner is designed to handle large files, and I've not yet found any that are too large for it. The Excel file will get truncated above 65500 segments due to a limitation of the xls format, but autoalignment and TMX generation will work. Check the readme and switch on "large file" mode first, though. This way, the input files are chopped up and reassembled internally. (The obvious benefit is that you don't need to waste time finding matching segments where you can chop up the files.)

When I need to handle very large files, I align them in one go and if I need to manually review them, I drop them in Excel 65000 segments at a time. I would drop them in Excel, I should say - I've never manually reviewed files of this size. It would take too much time.

Let me know if you need help.

P.s. why would I laugh?

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LF has worked very fine... Jun 29, 2012

Hi Farkas,
thanks very much for your feedback. I was able to finish my project in a flash, changing the setting in the setup file (I put it to 16000).

I have just posted this question about LF here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/227990-lf_aligner_questions.html

What a nice package you have put together!
Greets,
Mike

FarkasAndras wrote:
P.s. why would I laugh?

Well, you should have seen all those CATs and WinAlign freeze and display their reluctant error messages... Not a good idea trying such file sizes...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
WinAlign Jul 1, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
P.s. why would I laugh?

Well, you should have seen all those CATs and WinAlign freeze and display their reluctant error messages... Not a good idea trying such file sizes...

Well, it wasn't that absurd to try... It could have worked, but I'm not at all surprised that it failed. Judging by the posts on this forum, that's something of a habit with WinAlign, and of course it's nothing to write home about even when it works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the file size limit for WinAlign?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search