International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Import/export of TBX files in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: msoutopico

msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:20
English to Galician
+ ...
Jun 28, 2012

Dear all,

I have downloaded the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2011 to explore it thoroughly and see whether it's worth buying it. This is build 10.1.2861.1.

Assuming I would receive projects from an agency that doesn't use Trados, I would get the source files, reference material (bilingual files), a translation memory (in TMX format) and dictionaries (in TBX format, or any other, CSV, etc.).

The only thing I can't find either in the project settings or anywhere else in the interface is an option to import a TBX dictionary. The sample project that comes with the software includes a termbase: I have been unable to export that one either.

Could it be that one needs to buy also Multiterm (which is not included in Trados Studio 2011) to do that?

Any answer would be highly appreciated.

Cheers, Manuel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
English
SDL MultiTerm Jun 28, 2012

Hi Manuel,

SDL MultiTerm 2011 is included in the package you purchase if you decide to go ahead and but Studio. You can then use MultiTerm Convert to convert the TBX to a MultiTerm Termbase.

Regards

Paul

Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
included in Studio as long as it's not the trial version? Jun 28, 2012

Thanks for your answer, Paul!

I understand then that the trial version is not identical to the program you purchase. It's not only limited in time but also in functionality, right?

Cheers, Manuel

United Kingdom
English
Not quite... Jun 28, 2012

Hi Manuel,

The trial version is a full working version of SDL Trados Studio 2011 Professional. SDL MultiTerm is a seperate product.

You can use a Termbase in Studio but you can't create one without MultiTerm.

Regards

Paul

Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TBX import in Trados Studio? Jun 28, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer. There's something I don't quite understand.

I had understood that MultiTerm 2011 is included in the Trados Studio 2011 (the package I would purchase, Freelance variant precisely), but now you say that Multiterm is a separate product. So I understand that Multiterm is not included if I buy Trados Studio.

I also understand that there are no functional differences between the trial version and the purchased version of Trados Studio.

So, my question is: How can I import a TBX dictionary into a termbase using Trados Studio? And vice versa: how can I export a termbase into a TBX dictionary using Trados Studio?

Thanks a lot! And sorry if I got confused.
Manuel

United Kingdom
English
ok... Jun 28, 2012

Hi Manuel,

You have downloaded a trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2011. This is a fully working application in its own right, but does not come with all the additional applications you get when you purchase.

When you purchase SDL Trados Studio 2011 it is bundled with:

SDL Trados Studio 2011
SDL MultiTerm
SDL Passolo Essential

If you wish to create a MultiTerm termbase from a TBX then you have to use a tool called MultiTerm Convert which is installed when you download and install SDL Multiterm. There is a rough description here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_MultiTerm_2011/client_en/SDL_MultiTerm_Convert/About_MultiTerm_Convert.htm

Exporting a TBX is also carried out using SDL MultiTerm.

Regards

Paul

Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no TBX import in the trial version Jun 29, 2012

Thank you, Paul. I think I got it now.

If I buy Trados Studio, Multiterm Desktop (and probably Multiterm Convert) will be included, but they are not in the trial version. Meaning that I can't try the TBX import before purchasing the software.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers ,Manuel

Jessicaliu  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Exporting a TBX is carried out using SDL MultiTerm? Jan 8, 2013

Hi, I'm a new user of SDL MultiTerm 2011 and Trados 2011. I want to export a termbase in TBX format to use in another CAT software. But, I find the export file is in .XML format RATHER THAN TBX format? Why is that?

This XML format is not supported by other CAT softare...

Please help.

Jessica

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Manuel,

You have downloaded a trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2011. This is a fully working application in its own right, but does not come with all the additional applications you get when you purchase.

When you purchase SDL Trados Studio 2011 it is bundled with:

SDL Trados Studio 2011
SDL MultiTerm
SDL Passolo Essential

If you wish to create a MultiTerm termbase from a TBX then you have to use a tool called MultiTerm Convert which is installed when you download and install SDL Multiterm. There is a rough description here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_MultiTerm_2011/client_en/SDL_MultiTerm_Convert/About_MultiTerm_Convert.htm

Exporting a TBX is also carried out using SDL MultiTerm.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
It probably is TBX... Jan 8, 2013

... which is just XML. If you open the file in a text editor you'll see it says this in the first few lines type="TBX".

To use in another tool try adding the TBX extension to the end.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import/export of TBX files in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search