Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:28
English to French
+ ...
Jun 29, 2012

Hi all,

My client requires the use of Trados Studio 2009.

I can't even find an explanation of the wonderful colors that appear in the translation editor window. I sometimes get segments with almost illegible text (e.g. gray on sky blue) and have strictly no idea of what it means. The "Translation details" tooltip says "Status Draft; origin interactive; score 0%, before interactive editing; origin : copied from source". Well OK, but why are the default colors illegible
... See more
Hi all,

My client requires the use of Trados Studio 2009.

I can't even find an explanation of the wonderful colors that appear in the translation editor window. I sometimes get segments with almost illegible text (e.g. gray on sky blue) and have strictly no idea of what it means. The "Translation details" tooltip says "Status Draft; origin interactive; score 0%, before interactive editing; origin : copied from source". Well OK, but why are the default colors illegible ?

There are many other enigmatic colors and situations.

Searching for "editor view" in the help shows inadequate topics, though I'd think this is rather important and I even use their terminology.

I need quick help, I can't spend my day reading a 500 pages manual. Can someone give me a link where that is explained ?

Cheers,

Alexandre
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Huh? Jun 29, 2012

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
I can't spend my day reading a 500 pages manual

Hi Alexandre,

Each manual contains a very useful section called "Index". Just check it for the key word "colors", and you will easily find the necessary page.

Also, while in Studio, check the setup options for "colors", and you will see all options set in your computer.

Natalia

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
maybe there Jun 29, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/199424-changing_the_interface_colors.html

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Options / colors is of no help Jun 29, 2012

Thanks for your kind replies.

Finding where to change the interface colors is not a problem. I do it when mandatory, e.g. to change the default color of the current segment, which by default is very cleverly distinguished from the other segments by the fact that it is almost unreadable...

But first I suspect that box not to be exhaustive. Then it is talking about "locked content" but there is hardly anything about locked content in the help (I don't use a paper index,
... See more
Thanks for your kind replies.

Finding where to change the interface colors is not a problem. I do it when mandatory, e.g. to change the default color of the current segment, which by default is very cleverly distinguished from the other segments by the fact that it is almost unreadable...

But first I suspect that box not to be exhaustive. Then it is talking about "locked content" but there is hardly anything about locked content in the help (I don't use a paper index, only the search feature)

Also, I figured out that segment backgrounds are alternatively white and grey. Such feature is hardly compatible with the plethora of other colors. But OK it accounts for black on white and black on grey. But I still need to know why some segment appear in grey on white, others in light gray on dark gray. The tooltips are just the same as for the black on white and black on grey "normal" segments.

I can't understand why meaningful informations should be hidden behind a taxonomy of hard to remember colors, while we have tooltips and natural languages at our disposition.

I still have to find a synthetic manual with an efficient search feature.

Cheers,

Alexandre
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It sounds to me... Jun 29, 2012

... that the source text and the wysiwyg effect is to blame here. I can't read your post and find anything like your description of the problem.

Perhaps you would fare better by turning off the wysiwyg and looking at more uniform plain text? So from this:

To something like this:
... See more
... that the source text and the wysiwyg effect is to blame here. I can't read your post and find anything like your description of the problem.

Perhaps you would fare better by turning off the wysiwyg and looking at more uniform plain text? So from this:

To something like this:

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That must have been the point Jul 1, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Perhaps you would fare better by turning off the wysiwyg and looking at more uniform plain text?

Great!

Finding out how to turn off the wysiwyg is the first thing I’ll do next time I start Trados Studio 2009!

Thank you very much,

Alexandre

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to stop alterning segment background colors? Oct 22, 2012

I must have been a bit optimistic in my previous post, probably because the TS project was over

Wysiwyg off does reduce eye strain of course, but the problem I was encountering was not this.

I think one problem comes from the alternating colors of segments, as I said before. It looks like additional color hints are combined with those two "vanilla" background colors to make twice as much colors when there
... See more
I must have been a bit optimistic in my previous post, probably because the TS project was over

Wysiwyg off does reduce eye strain of course, but the problem I was encountering was not this.

I think one problem comes from the alternating colors of segments, as I said before. It looks like additional color hints are combined with those two "vanilla" background colors to make twice as much colors when there are already too much for me. So I would like to use the same color (say white) for the vanilla background for even and odd segment numbers. Is that possible? I did not find it in the color options.

Cheers,

Alexandre
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Matching score labels quite decorative but illegible Oct 29, 2012

Hi again,

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
I would like to use the same color (say white) for the vanilla background for even and odd segment numbers. Is that possible? I did not find it in the color options.

I found a workaround: I just use White for "Active segment background color" in Options >> Colors so that it does not get merged in a very confusing manner with the alternating background colors of the segments.

I have another legibility problem: I can't read the over important matching score tags with their beautiful colors whose meaning I have no idea but which for sure render the tags illegible. The "Text color contrast" option in Editor >> Font adaptation does not seem to have any effect on this.

Any hint? I'd prefer not to have to use Windows' accessibility function for that single purpose.

Cheers,

Alexandre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost with the plethora of colors in Trados Studio 2009 editor window

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »