Trados - advantages
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 1, 2012

I would like to find out what the advantages of Trados are. What types of translation is the program good for, and for which other types of translation it is totally useless. Why would it be good for legal translation? To what extant does it make translator's life easier. What are the arguments against Trados, if any. I wanted to see a demo of this program many times, but it is not available anywhere.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some advantages Jul 1, 2012

Generally, and in my experience, it is rather useful for specialized texts (medical, technical, legal) if many sentences are repeated throughout the text and only a few words change said sentence, then it is useful to keep consistency.
But for more general texts or literary translations, I would say it is rather useless, unless you expect to have more of that work coming and a TM could be useful.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:23
English to Japanese
+ ...
Very simple Jul 1, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

I would like to find out what the advantages of Trados are. What types of translation is the program good for, and for which other types of translation it is totally useless. Why would it be good for legal translation? To what extant does it make translator's life easier. What are the arguments against Trados, if any. I wanted to see a demo of this program many times, but it is not available anywhere.

CAT tools (not only Trados) are advantageous if you are translating an owner's manual for a microwave oven. But it is totally useless if you are translating "War and Peace".

United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about general legal texts Jul 1, 2012

Thank you kindly, both of you. Do you think it would be useful for contracts, pleadings, criminal records translations, and things like that? Is it easy to use?

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Local time: 01:23
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
It's truly only useful for... Jul 1, 2012

... documents that don't change much amongst themselves (like balance sheets, etc.). For other stuff it's useless, most legal documents included (unless it's a project comprised of several identical documents and only the personal information changes, for example).

And the of course there is the joy of Trados errors, which will from time to time impede your work and possibly cost you a lot of money when you can't provide your final document due to an "object not set to an instance of an object" error or one of the dozens of other common ones.

However some agencies only provide files that are viewable with Trados and/or they require a TM.

If anything I would recommend getting 2011 as it appeared (at least from the month I used it as a trial) to have fewer errors, though as far as I am aware the different versions of Trados are not compatible with each other... (hence the specifications you see that say "must have 2009 SP3" and the like) though from my experience most people run 2009.

Good luck!

United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, and why would most agencies require it Jul 1, 2012

Thank you so much. Why do you think most agencies require Trados? Is it easier for agencies to organize the material if it is done in Trados? Could texts in MS Word, or any other program cause a lot of confusion when dealing with large volumes? Would there be another tool that is better, especially for organizing material?

Marta Karchnakova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
good for repetitive parts of text Jul 1, 2012

Hi,
in my opinion any CAT tool is good for those parts of texts that repeat: if you have to translate extracts from business registers, school-leaving certificates, birth certificates, legal records or other such documents, then a CAT tool will do good.
As also previously mentioned, some agencies work only with files viewable in Trados, but some cheaper software is able to process those files, too, and many agree to use a compatible software instead of Trados if suggested (my experience). However, first see how it works: here is the link to the sdl website where they offer trial version you looked for: http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/demodownloads/sdl-trados-studio-demo.asp
good luck;)

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I beg to disagree on this one Jul 1, 2012

Marta Karchnakova wrote:

...if you have to translate extracts from business registers, school-leaving certificates, birth certificates, legal records or other such documents, then a CAT tool will do good.

I don't quite think so: documents of this type usually come in as hardcopy or scanned documents. In these very cases, I believe that using a set of pre-defined templates will be more effective and less time-consuming.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-01 17:50 GMT]

Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
it keeps formatting Jul 1, 2012

One extremely good thing is that Trados keeps the original formatting, so you usually don´t have to deal with the visual form of a document. Then, when agencies translate larger volumes, they provide you with a TM which helps you keep consistency of target texts. When more people work on large projects, it helps to use the same terminology and thus increase the overall quality of translated documents.

Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
scan to OCR Jul 1, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Marta Karchnakova wrote:

...if you have to translate extracts from business registers, school-leaving certificates, birth certificates, legal records or other such documents, then a CAT tool will do good.

I don't quite think so: documents of this type usually come in as hardcopy or scanned documents. In these very cases, I believe that using a set of pre-defined templates will be more effective and less time-consuming.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-01 17:50 GMT]

Yes, take into account what Stanislav said; of course, I was talking about myself: I use "scan to ocr" functionality of Adobe Acrobat Professional with scanned documents to save time.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
OCR technology Jul 1, 2012

Marta Karchnakova wrote:
Yes, take into account what Stanislav said; of course, I was talking about myself: I use "scan to ocr" functionality of Adobe Acrobat Professional with scanned documents to save time.

I too use OCR technology (Studio has a built-in OCR module and there is of course third-party software too) for certain documents; however, if the scan is low-quality or if the scanned document is heavily structured, you may still run into problems.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-01 18:15 GMT]

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Terminology module (Multiterm, in case of Trados) Jul 1, 2012

Please do not forget one of the key advantages of CAT-tools: terminology handling. I passionately collect terms during translation and build up thematic dictionaries. A good Multiterm-glossary can be extremely useful for legal documents, too.

Cheers,
Gyula

United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mistakes and context Jul 1, 2012

Thank you, everyone. What if some translators use wrong phrases, do the phrases get repeated over and over again. What about context?There are very few phrases that fit well in a slightly even different context. I think the program can be useful for so called boilerplate parts of the document, but how much time does it really save you. Is it more than 10%?

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Youtube Jul 1, 2012

... I wanted to see a demo of this program many times, but it is not available anywhere. ...

Lot of clips with demos and lessons are available on YouTube.

Simple query for 'Trados' in the YouTube search field has returned links to 638 clips.

[Edited at 2012-07-01 20:54 GMT]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
English to German
+ ...
Because it supports a wide range of file formats Jul 1, 2012

A translator will be able work on files that were created in InDesign, QuarkXPress, etc. even if he / she doesn't have the original software. Trados (and other CAT tools) are a one-fits-all solution.

Which makes it my personal pet peeve.
90% of all pieces that I am working on have been created in InDesign, QuarkXPress, Publisher and what not. Instead of writing directly into the existing layout, I have to suffer through chopped-up paragraphs, segment and gazillions of annoying tags. Why? Because the editor doesn't happen to have the software. It slows me down. Typing around tags steals my time and costs me money. Also, I have to look at a PDF every other minute to check where segment 347 belongs and how much space the layout will allow. What kind of work flow is that supposed to be?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados - advantages

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search