SDL products lifecycle
Thread poster: Maxim Manzhosin

Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:03
Member (2008)
English to Russian
Jul 3, 2012

I use Trados 2007 FL and I'm pretty happy with it. My concern is that SDL may close upgrades from the version 2007 soon, and several years later they may shut down the licensing servers. This is a common practice but I couldn't find any info on the SDL products lifecycle and when they are expected to be discontinued. Is there something similar to the Windows lifecycle page?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:03
English to Czech
+ ...
Hard to tell Jul 3, 2012

Hi Maxim,
this is hard to tell. I think that it is pretty predictable that upgrades from T2007 will be no longer be possible with the next version(s) of Studio, but that's only my assumption.

As regards licensing for T2007, I don't think that licensing servers could be simply shut down. Once you own a license, nobody can take it away from you. And if the licensing servers will be shut down one day, I'm pretty sure that SDL will provide a solution for current T2007 users to keep and transfer their current licenses.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are missing a lot! Jul 3, 2012

After using the old Trados (up to 2007) for so many years, in 2009 I learned about how much I was missing by not moving to a more modern tool.

In September 2009 we switched to memoQ as our main tool in the office, quite a decision for us since all our customers were also users of Trados. Time has gone by and we now can work for customers who use the old Trados, the new Trados, memoQ, and other tools. All with a team solution (memoQ Server) that has made my team more productive and accurate.

I really think that, despite having to leave the "comfort" (or what you think is comfortable) of Trados 2007, you would have so much more to gain from a state-of-the-art tool. It would save you lots of time in your work, compared to the old ways.

I just thought I'd report my personal experience!

As for your question, I think Trados' licenses are perpetual. However, they will surely discontinue support (if they haven't done so yet) for the product since you cannot expect a software company (or SDL in this case) to support something that dates back to 6-7 years, can you? By sticking to Trados 2007, you will probably reach a point in which any help you may need will come from a rapidly decreasing number of individual users. That is always a risk, if you ask me.

Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:03
Member (2008)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I know what I'm missing Jul 3, 2012

I've watched webinars and installed the free trial version.
I just want to know when upgrades from 2007 are going to close, and if at some point I won't be able to reinstall my copy of 2007 any more.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No info Jul 3, 2012

Maxim Manzhosin wrote:
I just want to know when upgrades from 2007 are going to close, and if at some point I won't be able to reinstall my copy of 2007 any more.

Hi Maxim,
SDL have released no information on this, so I think your concerns are currently not topical.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SDL software lifecycle Jul 4, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

(...)

As for your question, I think Trados' licenses are perpetual.

Yep.

However, they will surely discontinue support (if they haven't done so yet) for the product

No, Trados 2007 and 2007 Suite is still supported.
AFAIR, the latest patch for Trados 2007 Suite (updated filters) was issued in April.

since you cannot expect a software company (or SDL in this case) to support something that dates back to 6-7 years, can you?

Well, I still receive updates for MS Office 2003 'cause the MS Office lifecycle is 10 years...

By sticking to Trados 2007, you will probably reach a point in which any help you may need will come from a rapidly decreasing number of individual users. That is always a risk, if you ask me.

IMO Trados 2007 will be alive during several years, most translation offices simply refuse to upgrade to Studio.
Quoting instructions from an order:
You need to open the .TTX files in Trados tag Editor with the provided .INI file. (...)
Please, use TRADOS 2007 EXCLUSIVELY (do not use Trados 2009 or 2011).

The only factor which could have killed it rapidly was a Microsoft Office file format change but SDL shoot his own foot introducing the Office 2007 support in Trados 2007
As long as the reality is Trados 2007 Suite rulez in the translation offices world, SDL will propose T2007 Suite bundled with the last Studio release, at least optionally, but I suppose the possibility to upgrade from T2007 and T2007 Suite will be withdrawn quite shortly according to the SDL sofware 5 years lifecycle.
I suppose, T2007 will not longer be upgradeable at the end of 2012 and T2007 Suite one year later.

Cheers
GG

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Why changing a running and well functionning machine? Jul 4, 2012

Hello,

if someone is using a software for a long time accumulating much experience, I would think twice about advicing him to change.
As long as one can deliver .doc or .docx files (and whatever else Trados 2007 can support), the only question is: Does one like working with the tool? Personally, I find SDLX (which is part of Trados 2007) still one of the most robust tools which will hardly make me stop working for some obscure error message. I can't even remember any issues.

Trados 2007 It's not the newest tool, but it works. So, Maxim's concerns are justified.

Licenses:
Licenses, if not time-limited (e.g. like Star Transit licenses), are valid for unlimited time, although some licenses will only allow you to use the program on your current computer system: By changing or upgrading important computer components, a new license would have to be buyed or you would have to get an updated license key from the program's author (or company).
Generally, at the end of a lifecycle, a public license key is made available to all clients if no more servers exist where one could return/exchange licenses. Any other practise which would impede clients to use the software (shuting down servers without advice) would be unprofessional and unethical.

Cheers,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL products lifecycle

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search